• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Artist Shares Their Story of Having Low Vision

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taskforce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I have low vision as well. It is very real. Not all eye conditions can be corrected. If someone that works in an eye clinic tells you otherwise, find a new eye clinic. You don't want them working on your eyes. That term might be a bit misleading as several things can lead to low vision but it still is a great term that encompasses the condition. In my case my vision is very much below the ability to drive even with correction. One of my eyes is what they consider finger counting vision. Which means how for from you you can still see well enough to count how many fingers someone is holding up. Luckily, there are more things that can be done for people these days but that doesn't mean there is a cure all fix for these condition. Sad to see there are people actually in the medical field that don't understand this issue exists. It is one of the reasons I'm glad a good portion of anime gets dubbed these days. I can read subs if I have a sub where I can adjust the size like computer softsubs. DVD and Bluray are out of the question though. As is watching streaming anime subbed where I can't change the font size. Would be nice if more/any streamers that have softsubs would let you adjust font size.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I tried looking up Bunny Urusawa noticing that ANN was using "they" as a pronoun to describe them. I assume they're agender?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
And this came just right after spoiler[what happened this month in Ballroom E Youkoso, where Tatara's showing the telltale symptoms of a detached retina]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I tried looking up Bunny Urusawa noticing that ANN was using "they" as a pronoun to describe them. I assume they're agender?

I can't speak for Urusawa specifically, but oftentimes mangaka are very private about themselves, including their gender. If they haven't specified, we'll use "they" in general to prevent misgendering them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

I can't speak for Urusawa specifically, but oftentimes mangaka are very private about themselves, including their gender. If they haven't specified, we'll use "they" in general to prevent misgendering them.

Got it. Thanks for the info.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, but too bad, I can't read Japanese Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1