• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sarazanmai - The Complete Series BD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed this show, although I too just discovered it this year. It was rich in history as well as it described some of Japan's fables considering kappa and otter. And the ED was done so beautifully, bringing in real life shots and putting the characters in them with the backgrounds making it flawless.

The songs though stick with you as well, so catchy! And it surprised me, as a My Hero Academia fan, to hear Justin sing like he did, I had no idea on that one and hope he could do a Deku song or something. lol

That being said, despite all the gags and stuff, the story is about three young men who have lives that are difficult and Keppei to me seemed to notice this while not outright admitting it and brought them together to help them learn that there's people that are more troubled than them and that they should work together and value the brotherhood they have, as true friends, no matter the secret, would stick beside you through thick and thin and have your back.

Reo and Maou's storyline shows the heartbreak of losing someone, but how manipulative desire could be if done the wrong way, which is what the Otter Doctor represents. There is a healthy desire, but when it reaches unhealthy levels, that's when things go nuts.

I definately recommend this anime...which I've watched several times already. lol It was just a short enjoyable one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Rodent?! Otter libelz! They're mustelids, not even in the same order as rodents. Razz

I'm not a huge Ikuhara fan, so this one was enjoyable, but not really my thing. I still may have to go dig up the English versions of the songs though, as I am a big Ian Sinclair fan.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Sarazanmai a lot when it was airing, though I do wish it wasn't as short as it is. The series covers some interesting themes and ideas, but I think it could have used a few more episodes to explore them further.
MysticGon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
This one is thoughtful and funny! Please give it a try.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I am reading the Penguindrum novels as they are released, and it is made very clear in the the books that Ringo has treasured otter and kappa stuffed animals --- an amusing touch in light of Sarazanmai. I don't know if they were in the anime, when the last volume of the novel is released I'll go back and check.

The Peggies' Stand by me ED for Sarazanmai was one that I never skipped.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I watched Sarazanmai when it was airing and I still need to go back and rewatch it. At the time I enjoyed it but I felt underwhelmed a bit. I think I was expecting the show to lean more heavily into it’s gay themes like Ikuhara had done with his past yuri works but instead it ended up being just one aspect of the show but not really what the whole show was about. Now that I know what to expect it and that it’s not going to be the gay male version of Yuri Kuma, I might like it better now that I’m not focusing on all RhE fan theories and speculation. It also felt like once you got past the gross out humor the surrealist symbolism of Sarazanmai felt more streamlined to me than his past works. I still liked the characters and seeing them work through their problems to grow closer to each other and I liked Reo and Mabu’s tragic story and the animation was beautiful and I loved the theme songs, especially the ending. I think I would still end up preferring Yuri Kuma Arashi but I do want to go back and revisit it sometime soon, especially the dub as I only saw it subbed when it aired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1