• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wind Rises BD+DVD (Shout! Factory Re-Release)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In other words, it's as close to a Criterion edition of The Wind Rises as we're likely to get, and a must buy for anyone who hasn't already added the film to their collection.

Isn't it almost assuredly going to get a GKIDS steelbook release at some point, though (with presumably the same exact on-disc production quality)?
lhernan02

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:52 am Reply with quote
The review was pretty spot on, but with one basic historical flaw, the Zero was a fighter, not a bomber. And it certainly was not a "brutally effective weapon of war," it was a great competition plane, but a crap fighter (unarmored, even for a late 30s fighter, unmaneuverable at high speeds, and the fuel tanks were in the wrong place for a war machine). The myth was due to the Americans not being able to handle "yellow savages" beating them fair and square, so it had to be the SUPER ZERO FIGHTER that was doing it. It was an issue of training and experience, Japan had been at war for a decade by 1941 and the US fighter arm had expanded to the point that most pilots were not even "90-day wonders." Note that you never hear about the dreaded Zero fighter after 1942. It was a great machine, but not a great weapon (sort of like the Sherman tank).
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
I saw this in theaters with my dad when it first came out over here, and we both really liked it!
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I liked parts of this movie.

But it doesn't seem to suit Miyazaki. The fun age of multiwinged aircraft reminded me of the fun we had with similar fantasy aircraft in Porco Rosso. And I love the initial depiction of the 1923 earthquake. But the movie doesn't seem to capitalize on what makes Miyazaki movies good.

The Anno comparison in the article is appropriate. Both of them had their more recent movies (Wind Rises) and (Eva 3.33) be works from well respected masters. In Eva 3.33 I should mention Fuyutski pulls Shinji aside to play a game. Indulging in this hobby is the one way he can try to talk to communicate with Shinji. Anno himself has an interview from the 90's where he lays out that Animation is how he tries to reach out and express himself to others where words don't work.

Anno and Miyazaki are both using their recent movies to present a fumbling and frustrating chain of loosely connected ideas and are required by their job and hobby to "Say" something with their art, and use their projects to say they currently do not know what to say or where it will take them. it is much more apparent in Anno's work he seems lost and unable to say more at this time.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I just could not like this film. The sound design was fantastic, but Anno's Jiro came off as someone who seemed unmoved by the world around him. That level of aloofness, even when acting with drive or with passion, turned the from character a person to some inscrutable alien force which lead me to wonder what was the point of the whole thing. My opinion definitely doesn't improve now, where "Man Singularly Driven To Greatness Was Also Problematic" feels so very tired.

If Miyazaki was trying to talk about himself through his film, his message was quite poor.
Misopup

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote
Ummm...the Zero was NOT a bomber.
It was a fighter plane.
Occasionally, it was a bomb, when used as a kamikaze aircraft, but the machine was purpose-designed as a fighter plane.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1