• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Big Dogs and Little Extras

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised Afro Samurai: Revenge of Kuma Volume One won't run on PS5; it barely runs on PS4. I am, however, disappointed that it won't be the only incompatible game. I don't actually care about any of the others, but it would make it look like they deliberately excluded Revenge of Kuma out of shame, and that would have been hilarious.

But does this mean, however, that Life of Black Tiger, Spear of Destiny, and the other barely functional trash that got onto PS4 will survive on the PS5?
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
That may be but yeah, uh huh, that last line coulda been worded better if Sony really isn't recording anyone's voice. Sure it COULD be talking about what others record and send to them, very likely in fact but that does not exclude the fact they could still be recording ur voice/conversations and such. And if u wanna say am wrong, sure I have no proof that am right but neither do you have proof that am wrong :P
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh. There *is* a dog in that picture. I, ah, didn't notice. Razz
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A bit of a bummer, but the PSOne and PS2 libraries in particular are absurdly huge, and trying to make sure even a fraction of those games run well would be incredibly time-consuming.

Considering Sony has said this with regards to PS4 games, " In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles." I think they can just make a ps1/ps2 emulator and put out a similar statement without testing every single game. PS1 games can practically run on a toaster these days, so I imagine most issues can be over come with just letting the PS5 power through any emulation resource issues.

Obviously they just don't feel like it's worth spending any resources on it for their users =/

PS3 I can understand though. Emulating the cell (even though it's going pretty well on PC) is no joke.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:32 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
I'm not surprised Afro Samurai: Revenge of Kuma Volume One won't run on PS5; it barely runs on PS4. I am, however, disappointed that it won't be the only incompatible game. I don't actually care about any of the others, but it would make it look like they deliberately excluded Revenge of Kuma out of shame, and that would have been hilarious.

But does this mean, however, that Life of Black Tiger, Spear of Destiny, and the other barely functional trash that got onto PS4 will survive on the PS5?

I mean, to be fair, Afro Samurai 2 was cancelled after the first episode tanked hard (leading to the devs to refund everyone that bought it and delist the game from existence), so I wouldn't be surprised anyways.

As for other "bad on purpose" PS4 games like Life of Black Tiger (that AVGN covered) and others, yes, since they're not mentioned on the list, they are BC, lol. However, people have also want to check to see if a certain demo can run on PS5. (That being P.T., since it was pulled due to Konami being Konami. But certain people have at least have them on their hard drives.)

Secondly, as for the PS Store being restructured, yeah, it bites, and it'll be harder to buy legacy digital now as you'll have to trudge through the console/handheld specific stores, which is a chore in itself as the PS3's PS Store is prone to slowdown and crashes, and the Vita (and possibly by extension, PS/Vita TV) store not being much reliable to look for stuff here and there.

Otherwise, not mentioned in this weeks column (but possibly next week, maybe), the 1v1 Phantom Breaker comes back and better than ever. Multiplatform too!
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:00 am Reply with quote
Honestly, none of the Level-5 games ever really clicked with me. I played the first three Professor Layton games and enjoyed the puzzles in them, but the storyline got progressively worse and worse with each installment to the point that it was actively impeding my enjoyment of the series and so I stopped playing them.

I also played the first few minutes of Ni no Kuni on the PS3, but nothing about it really grabbed me. I probably should get back to it one of these days...

As for PS4 backwards compatibility... I just hope this isn't a PS3 situation where they'll phase out the backwards compatibility with later editions of the console. I always end up buying my consoles pretty late in the game, so it'd be a bummer to miss out on any backwards compatibility like I did for the PS3.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:52 am Reply with quote
Hey, remember when people were talking about Yokai Watch as if it was a Pokémon killer and how the games were so great and were gonna teach Game Freak and how SM and SwSh were gonna flop?

Funny times, funny times.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:34 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Hey, remember when people were talking about Yokai Watch as if it was a Pokémon killer and how the games were so great and were gonna teach Game Freak and how SM and SwSh were gonna flop?

Funny times, funny times.

I thought people were blaming Yokai Watch for how the Sun & Moon anime went all comedic and ugly Laughing Rotom being a stand in for Whisper, etc.

Level 5 always seems to make some good properties, but completely fails to keep up momentum. Inazuma 11 was huge, Danball Senki was huge, Yokai Watch was huge, but they only lasted a few years each. They can't seem to keep the flow going. Mismanagement, or bad luck? They seem to be kings of flash-in-the-pan success, at least in Japan. But then, maybe that's better than being utterly stagnant like Pokemon has been for the past decade. Maybe some franchises just aren't meant to last forever.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
I thought people were blaming Yokai Watch for how the Sun & Moon anime went all comedic and ugly Laughing Rotom being a stand in for Whisper, etc.

Level 5 always seems to make some good properties, but completely fails to keep up momentum. Inazuma 11 was huge, Danball Senki was huge, Yokai Watch was huge, but they only lasted a few years each. They can't seem to keep the flow going. Mismanagement, or bad luck? They seem to be kings of flash-in-the-pan success, at least in Japan. But then, maybe that's better than being utterly stagnant like Pokemon has been for the past decade. Maybe some franchises just aren't meant to last forever.

To be fair, the yokai watch games could never stand against Pokémon. They were too infused with silly minigames that, while fun for kids, made any sort of competitive play impossible, and competitive play is a part of why Pokémon still lasts. They also got greedy and released far too many games in far too little time, oversaturating the market with their product without having the early leeway that Pokémon had to build and expand a fanbase. Besides, unlike Pokémon Yokai Watch completely failed at gaining any sort of traction outside of Japan.

Level-5 tends to have good ideas but you're right that they're terrible at managing them.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:

As for PS4 backwards compatibility... I just hope this isn't a PS3 situation where they'll phase out the backwards compatibility with later editions of the console. I always end up buying my consoles pretty late in the game, so it'd be a bummer to miss out on any backwards compatibility like I did for the PS3.

You could just get a PS4 since the price of the system will probably drop sometime around the launch of the 5 and as we know some PS5 games will also be on the 4.

OtherSideofSky wrote:

Shame for who?
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:54 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
You could just get a PS4 since the price of the system will probably drop sometime around the launch of the 5 and as we know some PS5 games will also be on the 4.

I do have a PS4 actually. Got it in a holiday sale back in December, which is also why I'm probably not going to get the PS5 anytime soon. Backwards compatibility is mainly a space issue for me. I'd love to retire my old consoles whenever the new ones come out, but with backwards compatibility so spotty with Sony that seems like a distant pipe dream.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Akihiro Hino tends to have good ideas but you're right that he's terrible at managing them.
Fixed that for you.

Level-5's real underlying issue is that Hino (the CEO and creative director) is personally involved in way too many projects at once. It's something he's at least partially aware of, having tried to outsource IE: Ares, but that ended up backfiring spectacularly when the final product didn't meet his standards. I just hope he can get his groove back and (re) learn how to focus on maybe only one or two projects at once. At least before he decides he has to do something more drastic, like resign.

I'm not too concerned about their international branch shutting down, as I tend to import Level-5 games anyway. If they had gone the Persona route with localization that would have been one thing, but so long as they kept trying to obscure the Japanese-ness of their incredibly Japanese IPs, I was going to be put off. Probably not just me, from the sound of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1