• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Modest Proposal -1: Sticky Threads

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
I think that it is time that all of the sticky threads in all of the forums be reviewed and that most of them be changed to normal threads. I'm not sure who has the authority to do that. I'd be willing to make recommendations as to which should be changed if this is approved.

There are several sticky threads that have not been posted in for years. Leaving them stickyed leaves the impression that no one is updating the forums. Paradoxically the really popular threads don't need to be stickyed since forum traffic is significantly down. In most forums it takes weeks if not months for a thread to leave the first page.

Also, the sticky threads clutter up the forums and detract from the active threads. Basically there should not be so many sticky threads that you have to scroll to find the active non sticky threads.

My recommendation is that administrative threads (rules, forum indexes etc.) be changed to announcements. Threads that are deemed to be necessary to be sticky should be reviewed every six months. If it still active in six months it does not need to be sticky. If it isn't active, unsticky it.

Also administrative threads labeled New should have the word new removed after six months (New Forum Rules).

This clean-up should be done before the new forum software is initiated.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestion. I've gone through and done a bit of cleanup, but I've also kept some threads that haven't been posted to in ages because they may still be useful in the in the future.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much for the prompt response. This is something that has been a mild irritant for sometime.

As the title suggests, I do have additional suggestions but I didn't want to hit the forum with a wall of text. I'll space out the others.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope you don't mind Tempest but I unstickied a handful more in the manga section. There were several that just have not been used in a long time. I did remove some locked or junk threads as well so that way most of the now unstickied threads remained on page 1 of the manga section.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1