• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Announces English Dubs, Casts for Jujutsu Kaisen, I'm Standing on a Million Lives,

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Marco from Star vs. the Forces of Evil as the Jujutsu Kaisen lead!?! Didn’t know he does anime.
wutsdisred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, how exciting!
These are almost all shows that I enjoyed the 1st episode of but didn't have the motivation to continue with. A good english dub almost always ropes me back in! Even better that there are multiple language options.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Jujutsu Kaisen has me extremely hype but I hope Burn the Witch happens eventually. Yes I know it's a 60 minute OVA but it's still a new title exclusive to Crunchyroll and BTW was pretty popular (I mean it's the newest piece of major Bleach content in years especially anime wise) So I refuse to believe they wouldn't dub it
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Why are Italian dubs absent?
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Ah I always imagined Gojo with a deep voice though in my mind I kept hearing Chris Sabat.

Kaiji Tang is a good pick.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I ever imagined I'd hear Marco Diaz in an actual anime, but it actually happened.

Oh hey, Zeno Robinson's first lead role!
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
As for which recording studio is dubbing which series, I think Jujutsu Kaisen is a Studiopolis dub and a Million Lives is done at Bang Zoom! Studios given that Zeno hasn't done anything with Studiopolis. I also think Tonikawa could also be Bang Zoom! seeing that Zach Aguilar hasn't done anything with Studiopolis yet unless he says it's recorded at Studiopolis. Not sure which studio is doing Noblesse but my guess is Bang Zoom! cause other than God of High School (which he did at Studiopolis), Dorohedero (recorded at SDI Media/Spliced Bread), and Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas (recorded at VSI Los Angeles) the majority of Sean Chiplock's VO work is primarily at Bang Zoom!

The easiest thing to determine if it's a Studiopolis or Bang Zoom! production is on the voice actors they utilize and who's in charge of the dub. If it's a Studiopolis dub they normally utilize voice actors that Bang Zoom! doesn't use in their dubs (both non-union and especially Union) such as Nicolas Roye, Aaron LaPlante, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, Christopher Swindle, Veronica Taylor, among others, and the end credits list Jamie Simone, Suzy Goldish, and Ryan Johnston being involved in the production.

If the dub is done at Bang Zoom! normally it has Mami Okada's name listed in the credits, along with Jalen K. Cassell (who does ADR Scripting on the majority of the Bang Zoom! titles) and it's either ADR directed by Tony Oliver, Erica Mendez, Chris Cason, Alex Von David, David Vincent, Steve Cannon or whoever is ADR directing the series. Plus, you got voice actors that primarily only work at Bang Zoom! and either haven't done or don't frequently work with Studiopolis such as David Vincent, Karen Strassman, Mela Lee, Marc Diraison, Joe J. Thomas, Chris Jai Alex, Imari Williams, Rachael Lillis, Frank Todaro, Armen Taylor, Jason Marnocha, Brad Venable, John Snyder, Bill Rogers, Zach Aguilar, Ben Lepley, Ben Pronsky, Jake Eberle, Ezra Weisz, Chris Cason and Julia McIlvaine (until her debut in the Monster Girl Doctor dub).

JennLegacy wrote:
Marco from Star vs. the Forces of Evil as the Jujutsu Kaisen lead!?! Didn’t know he does anime.

It's actually Adam McArthur's FIRST official anime role since he mentioned he's an anime fan especially the series My Hero Academia which he wishes to be in the dub someday according to an interview, also this is Anne Yatco's FIRST anime dub recording outside of SDI Media/Spliced Bread.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Plus, you got voice actors that primarily only work at Bang Zoom! and haven't done anything with Studiopolis such as David Vincent, Karen Strassman, Mela Lee... Ezra Weisz...

Regarding the four listed above, not really. Sure, they haven't been in any Studiopolis works recently, but they've all done work with the studio, even if it's only been limited to Bleach.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Plus, you got voice actors that primarily only work at Bang Zoom! and haven't done anything with Studiopolis such as David Vincent, Karen Strassman, Mela Lee... Ezra Weisz...

Regarding the four listed above, not really. Sure, they haven't been in any Studiopolis works recently, but they've all done work with the studio, even if it's only been limited to Bleach.

Regardless of it, the majority of them don't work as often in the Studiopolis dubs (which is interesting cause the studio tends to use veteran voice actors over newcomers for their anime dubs) and just prefer working at Bang Zoom! (Mainly David Vincent, Mela Lee, Karen Strassman and Marc Diraison). Also, I don't think Mela Lee was ever involved in the Bleach dub regardless of what most people say about it as the ONLY Studiopolis anime dub she's been in was Saint Tail, even Tony Oliver hasn't been in any anime dubs recorded outside of Bang Zoom! (given that he's one of the primary ADR Directors at the studio and why I haven't seen him done any other anime VO work) as the only non Bang Zoom! dubs have been his work through Bleach and Naruto for Studiopolis and voicing Lupin at whichever studio is doing the series and the CG film.

Lastly, you don't see the likes of Veronica Taylor and Nicolas Roye appear in ANY of the Bang Zoom! dubs whatsoever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1