• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's with clamp down on talking about casting choices in live-action adaptions?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering. I've noticed the top tends to pop up in live-action adaption threads. People point out the miscasting and then a mod comes in to shut down that discussion. If it was a simple 'no politics' rule then I'd get it, but ANN has routinely published articles and discussions on race in the fandom and medium, especially recently, so it seems weird for it to be okay in those instances but pointing out racial injustices in movie castings is frowned upon.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
There is a big difference between an actual article that tackles the idea of white washing, improper casting, gender stereotypes, etc., and users randomly trying to leave flame bait comments in a discussion. Especially when the discussion is not on those topics. Which is the key. A simple cast announcement is not the same as an article actually discussing those more serious topics. That's why we tell people to stay on topic and follow the rules.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1