• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Bananya and the Curious Bunch, Lupin III: The Columbus Files, Acrobunch, Bra

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
With Acrobunch there's now such a big licence wish off my list that it doesn't even matter that much to me what they announce on Monday. I'm already plenty happy.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Konosuba 2 coming out at some point was pretty much a given, but glad to see it now confirmed. It will be one of my highest-priority acquisitions for the first half of 2020.

Might have to also check out Acrobunch, since that sounds like a conglomeration of trends popular in the '70s and very early '80s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
With Acrobunch there's now such a big licence wish off my list that it doesn't even matter that much to me what they announce on Monday. I'm already plenty happy.

Key wrote:

Might have to also check out Acrobunch, since that sounds like a conglomeration of trends popular in the '70s and very early '80s.

You're not the only one surprised. I too was surprised by Discotek acquiring Acrobunch, it wasn't on my list of old-school mecha anime that was going to get a North American release many years later. But oh well, at least I can watch another old mecha anime. Hopefully, Acrobunch would make it's appearance on Crunchyroll, and/or Retrocrush TV in the near future. I hope Discotek can pick up the J9 trilogy in the future, that would be something.

Also seeing Acrobunch (and the J9 trilogy) are from the Kokusai Eiga-sha company. I would also love Discotek to pick up some of their other works like Twin Hawks, maybe? I would like to see Josephina the Whale also get a NA/USA pick-up too since I would like to see more kids anime (both old and new) be made more available for North American audiences (there are population of American kids that can benefit a lot from watching subtitled content that include anime).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Also seeing Acrobunch (and the J9 trilogy) are from the Kokusai Eiga-sha company. I would also love Discotek to pick up some of their other works like Twin Hawks, maybe? I would like to see Josephina the Whale also get a NA/USA pick-up too since I would like to see more kids anime (both old and new) be made more available for North American audiences (there are population of American kids that can benefit a lot from watching subtitled content that include anime).

While Acrobunch is a Kokusai Eigasha production, the licensing for it is through Enoki Films, which doesn't have the licensing rights to all of Kokusai's works, with Twin Hawks & Josephine being two that aren't included. Discotek has been working with Enoki for a while now, so take a look at their catalog & see what else might interest you. They certainly do have some really cool series that I've never seen, but have an interest in.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Hope Brave10 will be dubbed...
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

While Acrobunch is a Kokusai Eigasha production, the licensing for it is through Enoki Films, which doesn't have the licensing rights to all of Kokusai's works, with Twin Hawks & Josephine being two that aren't included. Discotek has been working with Enoki for a while now, so take a look at their catalog & see what else might interest you. They certainly do have some really cool series that I've never seen, but have an interest in.

Yes, I was aware of Enoki films USA and some of their catalogs. By the way, thank you for that link. Looking at the list, yes apparently this is where Discotek are getting their catalog license from. So there is a chance we could get the J9 Trilogy in the future. Sad that Twin Hawks and Josephine the Whale are not in the catalog. Sad I really want more old school child-friendly anime for my nephew and nieces (they have an above-average reading skill, and subtitled anime can do a lot of wonder for their reading).

I can accept Discotek licensing Nana the Supergirl, The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn, and Akū Daisakusen Srungle aka Gorilla Force. I would like to see more non-mainstream children anime (both old and new) getting NA/US licensing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1