• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Monster Hunter Film Earns US$2.2 Million in U.S. Opening Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
"Modest" is being way too generous for this, even under the circumstances
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
All things being equal, I’m pretty sure Warner is pointing to this and going “You see? This is why we’re releasing our films On Demand.”
DTM108

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I just saw it this weekend. I am part of the problem for having paid money for that piece of shit but I needed to see for myself, especially with Monster Hunter being my favorite video game franchise. Hopefully, the combination of the pointless China controversy and just being a bad movie will be enough to scrap a sequel. Unfortunately, foreign markets will probably get it over the hump in the eyes of producers at our new Hollywood overlords at Tencent.

The biggest problem has been stated by thousands of people already in one way or another; if the filmmakers don't care about the source material, the film will be made for no one and suck for everyone.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
NGL any movie that isn't releasing on demand in some form is a pass from me.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
whooo, 2.2 opening weekend is a bomb folks. This was going to stink the moment Paul Anderson and his wife Mila took on the project.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
All things being equal, I’m pretty sure Warner is pointing to this and going “You see? This is why we’re releasing our films On Demand.”

Also doesn't help that word on the grapevine is that Monster Hunter needing another pass through Chinese censors has also made other films have to go through them again as well. This might lead to delays with the upcoming Demon Slayer and Fate/Grand Order movies which were expected to make significant returns. It's one thing to affect your own movie, but getting splash damage on others is a guaranteed way to end your career.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
literally anyone knew how it was goign to turn out b4 watching it.

it was badly done.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Tbh I don't think it was promoted well enough anyway..I thought it was being released in spring of next year or something.
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
i thought all movie theater's are shut down
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
whooo, 2.2 opening weekend is a bomb folks. This was going to stink the moment Paul Anderson and his wife Mila took on the project.

But it ranked #1 at 2.2 million. Meaning we can’t go by ticket sales numbers like we used to anymore as long as we are still in this Pandemic. Theaters are closing up, many people are told to stay at home. It is simply just really terrible timing to release the movie right now. I am guessing they just wanted to get whatever theaters are still open a little business. But when a movie is #1 at 2.2 million, you know things in the world are bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1