• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Sorcerer King of Destruction and the Golem of the Barbarian Queen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PonSquared

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
How do you get a B+ out of a C+ and a B-?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The grades aren't done like assignments here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
How do you get a B+ out of a C+ and a B-?

With novels, I usually give the overall grade the same as the Story grade, but based on the review I believe Grant here is using the Overall to acknowledge that the weak story elements are being buoyed up by stronger characterization and technical merits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xavon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's not to say that its world is entirely bereft of creativity. There is a rather unique explanation behind the monsters' – called mana beasts – ability to use magic: they have internalized crystals to help them regulate it.

Really? This one of the more common tropes in fantasy manga/light novels (isekai or otherwise).
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Sorry gang, I'm playing fast and loose with the grading. I'm not much of a "score assigner" to begin with, but yeah the overall isn't meant to reflect an average more of a final verdict as it were Anime smile + sweatdrop

Regarding the mana crystal trope - ah, could just be my inexperience speaking there. Then again, the crux of my argument is that "it's tropey but earnest and sweet" so it's probably a wash on the whole.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
The webnovel has been on hiatus since 2018 and many people are worried the story will be left unfinished. The light novel version has two volumes out in Japan, and third volume slated for September this year but that might just be because there's still material to draw from...
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:13 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to get this novel for awhile so glad that the score is decent enough. Sadly I'll have to get it from Amazon since for some reason B&N doesnt have the first volume LN on their site...but they do the manga and second volume of the LN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1