• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla vs. Kong Film Debuts 1st Trailer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
If you look closely at several points in the trailer, you can see Mecha Godzilla so I'm assuming that the 'Godzilla' Kong is fighting in the trailer is actually Mecha Godzilla.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
still get why this movie exists..

kong is a giant ape.....vs godzilla who is near immune to damage do to his hide and shoots energy blasts Neutral

i mean still hope it does well so we get more but just personally its canonically a 1 sided thing :/
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
"Godzilla is attacking us and we don' know why." Jeez, maybe it was the nukes we drop on him in the last movie?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Everyone was very quick to dissect this trailer, not that it was difficult to do.

I hope we get a second one highlighting Godzilla kicking ass.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:21 am Reply with quote
Was Kong always that big..? :0
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:23 am Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
still get why this movie exists..

kong is a giant ape.....vs godzilla who is near immune to damage do to his hide and shoots energy blasts Neutral

i mean still hope it does well so we get more but just personally its canonically a 1 sided thing :/

Yet its Kong with the perfect win streak over T Rex shaped foes, one of which includes Godzilla. It's Godzilla's teeth, tail, atomic breath, healing factor and defensive hide versus Kong's intelligence, strength, endurance, grappling ability and his ability to use weapons both improvised and somehow actual.

That axe better have a good explanation for being around because it's making Kong's "sudden" electricity powers from KK v G look reasonable.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:30 am Reply with quote
What is a God to a king who doesn’t believe?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:43 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
That axe better have a good explanation for being around because it's making Kong's "sudden" electricity powers from KK v G look reasonable.

One theory going around is that the axe is improvised from one of Godzilla's back plates, hence why it can take a blast no problem like that.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:51 am Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:

No.
Stated to be a teenager-equivalent in Skull Island iirc. Still had all that time to grow, etc.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
I can't stand that music that starts in the middle, so distracting it ruined the trailer for me.

Its hard to be excited after King of the Monsters sucking but I hope I'm surprised.
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:16 am Reply with quote
We got George and Lizzie. Where's Ralph?
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
FiendHunter wrote:

No.
Stated to be a teenager-equivalent in Skull Island iirc. Still had all that time to grow, etc.

Ah, I see, didn't know that. Thank you.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the song in this trailer either, but at least it's better than when they used "Over the Rainbow" for the KotM trailer.

FiendHunter wrote:

This is by far the largest King Kong has ever been, and since I was curious and looked it up, here's a brief history of his height across various movies:

King Kong (1933) - officially 50ft, but actually varied from 18-70ft depending on the scene.

King Kong vs Godzilla (1962) - 145ft

King Kong Escapes (1967) - 60ft

King Kong (1976) - 42ft on Skull Island, 55ft in New York

King Kong Lives! (1986) - 60ft

King Kong (2005) - 25ft

Kong: Skull Island (2017) - 104ft, with it being stated he's still just an adolescent relative to his species

Godzilla vs King Kong (2021) - has not been officially stated, but Godzilla was 393ft in KotM, so that's probably a good point of comparison.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the song in this trailer either, but at least it's better than when they used "Over the Rainbow" for the KotM trailer.

FiendHunter wrote:

This is by far the largest King Kong has ever been, and since I was curious and looked it up, here's a brief history of his height across various movies:

King Kong (1933) - officially 50ft, but actually varied from 18-70ft depending on the scene.

King Kong (2005) - 25ft

Kong: Skull Island (2017) - 104ft, with it being stated he's still just an adolescent relative to his species

Godzilla vs King Kong (2021) - has not been officially stated, but Godzilla was 393ft in KotM, so that's probably a good point of comparison.

Yeah, they made some adjustments with this movie in mind, especially since this Godzilla is bigger than he has been in other movies too. Even looking at past examples, the biggest version was, again, when the premise was a fight with Godzilla. I'm actually a little impressed with the foresight to room for growth into Skull Island since it leaves it open for size to be adjusted to whatever ends up necessary later.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:

FiendHunter wrote:

King Kong (2005) - 25ft

Yeah, they made some adjustments with this movie in mind, especially since this Godzilla is bigger than he has been in other movies too. Even looking at past examples, the biggest version was, again, when the premise was a fight with Godzilla. I'm actually a little impressed with the foresight to room for growth into Skull Island since it leaves it open for size to be adjusted to whatever ends up necessary later.

As much as I love King Kong, it is very telling how much power creep he needs in order to make this match-up a contest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2