• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Virtual YouTuber Agency hololive Announces 2nd Round of Auditions for hololive English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
This is a potentially great opportunity for folks who want to get into VTubing! Only issue is, Hololive is so strict--and they own your character. Lots of pros and cons.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
As someone new to the abyss known as Hololive, I gotta ask, is the turn around for new V-Tubers usually this fast? Gen 1 just debuted the second half of last year right? Though after seeing how popular Gen 1 has become:

Gura shattered Kizuna Ai's record as fastest growing V-tuber, and has the most subscribers across all of hololive with 2 mill.

Both Ame and Callie hit the 1 million mark not too long ago (Ame hitting hers just last week).

Ina and Kiara have over 800k subscribers each

I could see why they would be eager to get a second gen going.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
As someone new to the abyss known as Hololive, I gotta ask, is the turn around for new V-Tubers usually this fast? Gen 1 just debuted the second half of last year right?
It's fast indeed, but not actually so fast - JP Gen 5 literally introduced after about 8 months from Gen 4.

But yeah, Cover riding on the success train.

Last edited by WANNFH on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
catbot158

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
As someone new to the abyss known as Hololive, I gotta ask, is the turn around for new V-Tubers usually this fast? Gen 1 just debuted the second half of last year right?

I went to the Hololive offical English website, and the differences were usually between 3-9 months apart. I don't know how long it will take for the debuts to be ready tho.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
This is a potentially great opportunity for folks who want to get into VTubing! Only issue is, Hololive is so strict--and they own your character. Lots of pros and cons.

Hololive's strictness is why they're successful though.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been following this from Akai Haarto's... or Haachama, depending on the time of the day of the week... varied attempts at joining the English side of Hololive from the Japanese end for the past few months.

... and now I realized I watched her audition video for this earlier today. Terrifyingly terrifying as well as amusing. I think she's more entertaining that all of HololiveEn combined but Performance Artists are an acquired taste.

Also, she kind of mocks the whole Vtuber thing as well so Hololive can't be that strict.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they’ll have more talents covering European time zones in this generation. I know Kiara will be moving back to Europe soon, so there will be at least one, but that seems like the biggest opening they have in terms of markets served. I doesn’t affect me directly, as I don’t live there, but I do have sympathy for the European fans who stay up till ungodly hours to catch the live stream and participate in the chat. The EN members have occasionally tried streaming at times more ideal for the European fans, but those often seem less ideal for them, especially for their sleep schedule, so maybe more talents in European time zones could help so they don’t feel obligated to cover the whole world by themselves. There is also the archive (an option I often take myself), but watching and chatting in real time is an aspect that many enjoy (and is often the only option for many of the karaoke streams).

I am also interested in the news of Nijisanji getting in on the English speaking market, though between the current and next generations of Hololive EN, I don’t know if I will have time to follow them any more than sporadically, but maybe they might find a talent I would be interested in making time for.
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I wonder if they’ll have more talents covering European time zones in this generation. I know Kiara will be moving back to Europe soon, so there will be at least one, but that seems like the biggest opening they have in terms of markets served. I doesn’t affect me directly, as I don’t live there, but I do have sympathy for the European fans who stay up till ungodly hours to catch the live stream and participate in the chat. The EN members have occasionally tried streaming at times more ideal for the European fans, but those often seem less ideal for them, especially for their sleep schedule, so maybe more talents in European time zones could help so they don’t feel obligated to cover the whole world by themselves. There is also the archive (an option I often take myself), but watching and chatting in real time is an aspect that many enjoy (and is often the only option for many of the karaoke streams).

To be fair, European fans have the best time overall, most of the Hololive streams happen between 9 AM and 7 PM GMT, add up to 4 hours for the full timezone coverage. The only hard to watch streams are usually Gura's, Calli's and Kiara's streams, with Ame close behind usually streaming at 00:00. Rushia is sometimes hard to come by if you're not a morning person and you live in western europe, but for most of the members, it's ez pz.
Unless, you're into Coco's reddit shitpost meme review, which usually happens at 3 to 7 AM... depending on your area.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1