• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Co-Produces She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man TV Anime Premiering This Ye

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 pm Reply with quote
It sounds just weird enough to be interesting. Time will tell if it can distinguish itself from the glut of isekai.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:36 am Reply with quote
So let me get this straight

You had a teenager playing with an old man avatar, who got access to a new female avatar and he got teleported into the game in that female avatar but also is still that old man avatar inside her?

This is some inception sheet. Even with a unique premise it better not be the same generic story build up after it, so make clever use of it. We shall see how it goes.
Yuukiwr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
It sounds just weird enough to be interesting. Time will tell if it can distinguish itself from the glut of isekai.

Don't worry kenja is one of the best isekai manga /novels and worth a read.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:22 am Reply with quote
We don't get many Isekai/MMO anime where the main guy becomes a girl or vise-versa, the only one I can think of is Saga of Tanya the Evil.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
Is Funimation Co-production means guaranteed Simuldub or not ? usually not all Funimations anime will get dubbed even the anime that they promoted so hard like wonder egg priority despite they unexpected popularity of the anime Funimation not dubbed it yet to capitalize the popularity of the shows when they are still aired
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

The premise is what stands out most and the story barely capitalizes on it. It's mostly played for laughs with Mira's occasional social faux pas and archaic speech. Otherwise it's a standard power fantasy except with only one potential love interest. The overarching story is also thin with each arc being more like a side quest than a major event.

The Executioner and Her Way of Life is an upcoming series that does a lot more to distinguish itself.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
Is Funimation Co-production means guaranteed Simuldub or not ? usually not all Funimations anime will get dubbed even the anime that they promoted so hard like wonder egg priority despite they unexpected popularity of the anime Funimation not dubbed it yet to capitalize the popularity of the shows when they are still aired

Wonder Egg Priority was licensed by Aniplex USA. I assume Funimation needs their approval to dub it. Plus, dubbing during a pandemic has to be hard.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:06 am Reply with quote
Log Horizon + Majo no tabitabi + Kuma kuma kuma bear + youjo senki = THIS
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Yuukiwr wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Don't worry kenja is one of the best isekai manga /novels and worth a read.

Ya know, I keep hearing that same line over and over anymore with isekai titles. Every time another one comes out with another over the top premise (like 1 or 2 per season now a days it seems like) and people question it there's inevitably some who say "it's one of the best isekai titles out there". How can they all be that? At what point are we all going to say "enough is enough, put some actual thought into these titles please" as a fandom? I mean they're pushing these things out with a cookie cutter at this point just like back in the moe craze years.
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
At what point are we all going to say "enough is enough, put some actual thought into these titles please" as a fandom?
Well, considering that moe is still going strong with the "cute girls with some odd hobby" shows popping up every season I'd say isekai will be like this for a while. There are just so many out there, and so many more being made because of how entry level friendly the genre is. It'll take another monster of a concept to get people off of the isekai trend.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if Science Fiction got a big of a reboot within anime. I doubt the genre would be as popular as in the 80's and early 90's, but I think after moe and now isekai Sci-Fi has earned it's turn again. Just please god don't make it isekai Sci-Fi "transported to an alternate reality in the future" or some bs like that.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:33 am Reply with quote
>studio A-CAT

Can't the producers at Funnymation pick a non-garbage studio for this one? Like the studio's two previous works (Tamayomi, LBX Girls) looks outright garbage.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
@Psicosis 101 The isekais with female protagonists differ quite a bit from the typical premise of a boy who goes to another world and gets a harem of cute girls, generally they focus more on the slice of life, practically it is a "CGDCT" in my experience this LN is practically the same Slime, only with an actual romantic line instead of androgynous teasing.

Ermat_46 wrote:
>studio A-CAT

Can't the producers at Funnymation pick a non-garbage studio for this one? Like the studio's two previous works (Tamayomi, LBX Girls) looks outright garbage.

I am not excited about the study either, however it has several advantages because it is the only anime they are doing now so there will be no problems of being overworked unlike mappa which is a bubble about to burst, in addition the PV looks good in my opinion some reason technically resembles majo no tabi, character design looks good unlike Tamayomi (although this was a time issue). The director is competent, I just hope they don't use much CGI
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:
The isekais with female protagonists differ quite a bit from the typical premise of a boy who goes to another world and gets a harem of cute girls, generally they focus more on the slice of life, practically it is a "CGDCT"

That isn't really the case. There are plenty of male-led isekai that are primarily slice-of-life and not a few lady-led isekai that are power fantasies. Besides this series, which has more than its fair share of OP protagonist stomps everything shenanigans, there is stuff like Her Majesty's Swarm, A Wild Last Boss Appeared!, or Akuyaku Reijou Level 99 to name a few.

This very season we have So I'm a Spider, So What? which puts a heavy emphasis on battles with the protagonist gradually becoming superpowered.

Even the harem aspect is often seen in lady-led series--particularly in the villainess subgenre.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:
@Psicosis 101 The isekais with female protagonists differ quite a bit from the typical premise of a boy who goes to another world and gets a harem of cute girls, generally they focus more on the slice of life, practically it is a "CGDCT" in my experience this LN is practically the same Slime, only with an actual romantic line instead of androgynous teasing.

Does a cis guy stuck in a female avatar in a video game count as a female protagonist? The original character and his previous avatar were male, so I’d assume the character’s internal dialogue will be male in this story?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2