• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sunao Katabuchi's New Anime Film Takes Place in Kyoto 1,000 Years Ago

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
Heian period is fascinating. It is not an exaggeration to say that the peculiarities of Japanese culture began to form during this period. I hope explore the creation of the samurai class well.

Last edited by Changeman on Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
Anime set in the Heian period are rare (the only two I can think of are Kai Doh Maru and the first half of Otogi Zoshi), so I welcome a title which sounds like a hard-core history dive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
You had me at Sunao Katabuchi.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Anime set in the Heian period are rare

Genji Monogatari Senneki is an obvious one. There's an older anime based on the Tale of Genji as well.

I believe the opening half of Kurozuka takes place during the Heian Period.

What period is the setting for Dororo? I thought it was also Heian, but I'm hardly an expert.
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Key wrote:

Genji Monogatari Senneki is an obvious one. There's an older anime based on the Tale of Genji as well.

What period is the setting for Dororo? I thought it was also Heian, but I'm hardly an expert.

I believe it is Sengoku.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Agree that Heian period anime are a rarity. I can only add two to the sparse list: Studio Ghibli's Kaguya-hime, and GARO: Guren no Tsuki.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Katabuchi said he chose the company's name with the thoughts of "I want to make an animated work that will be loved by many people forever."

Yeah, I know anime is always the first thing I think of when I see contrails...
shosakukan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:16 am Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Key wrote:

I believe it is Sengoku.

・ In the Dororo anime (2019), Daigo Kagemitsu says that he is a vassal of Togashi Masachika.
・ In the Dororo manga, Hyakkimaru says that Daigo Kagemitsu is a general for Togashi.
・ In the Dororo manga, Asakura is mentioned as the warlord who governs a province next to the province where Daigo Kagemitsu lives.
・ In the Dororo manga, Daigo Kagemitsu compares Togashi to Hōjō and Uesugi.
・ Togashi Masachika was a real-life high-ranking samurai, and he was the shugo (military governor) of the Kaga province from 1464 to 1488.

If we put these things together, we can conjecture that Dororo is set in the period from 1464 to 1488.
In the old days, people generally thought that the Ōnin War (1467–1477) had initiated the Sengoku period. But since historian Suzuki Ryōichi has put forward the theory that the Meiō Political Upheaval (1493) had initiated the Sengoku period, it has become an influential academic theory, and now scholars tend to think that the Meiō Political Upheaval started the Sengoku period.
So if someone adopts the influential theory, the safe opinion would be that Dororo is set in the Muromachi period.
And scholars think that the Muromachi period in a broad sense includes the Sengoku period in the first place.

SaneSavantElla wrote:
Agree that Heian period anime are a rarity. I can only add two to the sparse list: Studio Ghibli's Kaguya-hime, and GARO: Guren no Tsuki.

As to Taketori Monogatari, an ancient fictional prose narrative on which Kaguyahime-themed adaptations including the film by Takahata are based, scholars conjecture that it was written in the early part of the 10th century at the latest.
And the opening of Taketori Monogatari has an exprerssion roughly equivalent to the English expression 'long, long ago'. So what happened in Taketori Monogatari was 'long, long ago' things already in the early stage of the Heian period.
The five noblemen who propose to Kaguyahime in Taketori Monogatari were ancient real-life noblemen or have real-life noblemen on whom they are modelled. Three of them lived in the Asuka period, and two of them lived in the Asuka period and the Nara period.
So scholars think that Taketori Monogatari is set in the Asuka period or the Nara period.
But when artists draw Taketori Monogatari-themed pictures, they tend to have characters wear Heian-ish costumes and make buildings Heian-ish for some reason.

Since novelist Yūki Mitsuru wrote, '長岡京より平安京に、遷都が行われてから、およそ二百年ばかりすぎた頃。' in Shōnen Onmyōji, which also has a TV anime adaptation, it is set in the Heian period.

Since I have read Taishūbungei Hyōbanki in the original, in which famous scholar Mitamura Engyo criticised the historical inaccuracy of historical popular fiction books written by well-known novelists, regarding historical accuracy, I take depicted things with a grain of salt when I read/watch pieces of entertainment including anime and manga, however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1