• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RE-MAIN Water Polo TV Anime's 1st Teaser Unveils 4 More Cast Members

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote

More muscle! Twisted Evil
Fenrin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:43 am Reply with quote
I got my eyes on Babayaro, he's a cutie >w>
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote
Far be it from me to complain about all these blatantly female gazey, BL-fandom-conscious shows - god knows that we've had T&A, panty shots, and just male gaze and shameless objectification of female characters getting pushed in our face for far too long, what with male viewers being taken as default, and women being ridiculed when they complained ("this is anime, what did you expect" and so on). So yeah, more power to female otaku finally getting the shameless pandering male otaku have been getting all this time, although there's still a long way to go.

But I kind of wish there was more variety to it, and more ambition, more willingness to push boundaries. I understand that the industry feels they cracked the code with "pretty boys + sports showing lots of body + shippiness" formula, and from the looks of it they're right... but if the result is churning out the same formulaic stuff over and over again, I just can't get excited. I do want to watch these shows! I do want to get pandered to! But frankly just looking at the promo images for this show makes me yawn. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Fairy Ranmaru is that at least that show seems to have the ambition to step outside the "very wholesome, very safe" formula. (I hope it will actually do so...)
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:33 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Far be it from me to complain about all these blatantly female gazey, BL-fandom-conscious shows - god knows that we've had T&A, panty shots, and just male gaze and shameless objectification of female characters getting pushed in our face for far too long, what with male viewers being taken as default, and women being ridiculed when they complained ("this is anime, what did you expect" and so on). So yeah, more power to female otaku finally getting the shameless pandering male otaku have been getting all this time, although there's still a long way to go.

But I kind of wish there was more variety to it, and more ambition, more willingness to push boundaries. I understand that the industry feels they cracked the code with "pretty boys + sports showing lots of body + shippiness" formula, and from the looks of it they're right... but if the result is churning out the same formulaic stuff over and over again, I just can't get excited. I do want to watch these shows! I do want to get pandered to! But frankly just looking at the promo images for this show makes me yawn. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Fairy Ranmaru is that at least that show seems to have the ambition to step outside the "very wholesome, very safe" formula. (I hope it will actually do so...)

+1000
I couldn't have said it better. I mean, this show doesn't look terrible or anything and it's obviously too early to tell but it just looks so generic and pandering to a certain demographic... (and for the record, I would be saying the same if it was all full of cute moe girls). It's just frustrating to see how so many anime fans nowadays just don't care about having well written, ambitious shows as long as they can have pretty boys or cute girls... Confused
Kamui The Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
SHD wrote:

+1000
I couldn't have said it better. I mean, this show doesn't look terrible or anything and it's obviously too early to tell but it just looks so generic and pandering to a certain demographic... (and for the record, I would be saying the same if it was all full of cute moe girls). It's just frustrating to see how so many anime fans nowadays just don't care about having well written, ambitious shows as long as they can have pretty boys or cute girls... Confused

Yeah, I also agree. I think as well, is that shows like Free! and Sk8 were popular for other reasons as well. Much like K-On! and other moe shows too. There is something about these kinds of shows that help them stick out, and it's usually because we get invested in the characters and their stories, not just the pretty to look at and shipping aspect of the shows. Maybe this show will break my expectations, but right now it's unfortunately looking more like a Free! wannabe more than anything else. I'll see what the reviews say.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Why can’t girls and gay anime fans also have shows that pander to them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1