• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Backflip!! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote

Backflip!! (TV)

Genres:
Themes: gymnastics, sports

Plot Summary: [quote]Shōtarō Futaba, who is fascinated by gymnastics after seeing it in his third year of middle school, and joins the rhythmic gymnastics team of his new high school Sōshūkan High School, nicknamed "Ao High." He makes a friend with his schoolmate Ryōya Misato, who earned fame as a gymnast during middle school.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this was a surprise! I can't believe how gorgeous this animation was, and I felt like the air left my lungs watching the performance at the beginning to show what this show was going to show us for rhythmic gymnastics, I was hooked early.

I loved the enthusiastic Shotaru Futabu as he participated in his first practice before committing to join the team, and watching them all practice. Honestly, this is a show that even if they can't keep up the animation to the level and detail that this first episode delivers I'm still probably going to enjoy, but I really hope they can keep it up. Seriously, I am super impressed with how they aren't just carbon copies of each other during the choreography, they each more like actual people, it's incredibly difficult to match movements constantly and this show recognized that, clearly they spent a lot of time studying gymnasts and choreographed movement in group to make this so realistic.

I'm looking forward to the rest of this show!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:49 am Reply with quote
Ep 6

Took awhile, but we finally got another full routine, and it was quite the spectacle. The music was a bit meh, but I liked their outfits, and the performance was very dynamic.

I think the main reasons I'm sticking with this though is waiting to find out what the deal is with the Coach's wife (I'm betting she does exist, or maybe...did, rather than being imaginary), and the fact that his seiyuu is Takehiro Sakurai.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ep 6

Took awhile, but we finally got another full routine, and it was quite the spectacle. The music was a bit meh, but I liked their outfits, and the performance was very dynamic.

I think the main reasons I'm sticking with this though is waiting to find out what the deal is with the Coach's wife (I'm betting she does exist, or maybe...did, rather than being imaginary), and the fact that his seiyuu is Takehiro Sakurai.

I was super happy to see another full routine as well! I enjoying the show every week anyway, but none of it leaves me as agog as that first episode where I think I held my breath during parts.

I love the wife gag that runs through the show and expected him to say that his wife would come to the competition on the last ep...probably at some point we'll meet her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:32 am Reply with quote
7-8

I guess the mystery of Coach's wife is solved, except for why she's such a mystery to the team. I guess he was the Sasuke of MRG until he got hurt. He's pretty cool now. Totally had Onagawa's number from the start.

A lot of people talk like Misato is this series' Sasuke, but he's actually more like Furuya from Ace of Diamond. Athletically really, really good, but socially really, really awkward. At least Misato seems to be more grounded and has his act together better. He's just quiet about it.

Now this is what I call a bow.

Some animals expose their bellies in surrender, but not our Onagawa!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finiale)

A good ending, they did well in the competition, and didn't ruin the wrist.

I really am not much of a sports person, and I don't think that series managed to make itself an exception. I probably looked nice, and the characters were not painful. But I can't really say much otherwise.

My rating is going to be So-so (5/10), where although I think it was made generally okay, I was just not interested by the whole gymnastics thing. Nothing bad, but nothing that really kept my attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1