• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level (TV)

Genres: comedy, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: Ordinary office lady Azusa Aizawa died due to overwork. For that reason, when she finds herself reborn as an immortal witch with the appearance of a 17-year-old, she decides to live an easy-going life. Her main source of income is collecting magic stones that drop off the slimes that live in the nearby forest and selling them at the nearby village's guild. After doing this for the last 300 years, she's unknowingly become a level 99 witch, the most powerful of all.
----------------------------------

Anime adaptation of the light novel of same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kabuby 77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
Although the isekai-like plot is now inflated, this series has the premises to be fun without resorting to too complicated things.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This is certainly in my wheelhouse, a female isekai character voiced by Aoi Yuki, and kind of setting aside bouts of strength for cute slice of life shenanigans. Just needs some yuri, I did enjoy the female characters so far, such as our heroine, the guild lady and Laika the dragon. I might normally have more of a problem of some female characters talking about their boobs, but it did not really come across as too bad here.

There is perhaps a caveat though, a 300 year old person who pretty much did the same thing of just living a low level life with just doing small help to the local town, kind of seems difficult to relate to that kind of person in human terms. Azusa was being treated more like a guardian spirit of the town rather than a human, and that kind of seems like the way to understand her, as someone who has not gotten bored of 300 years of the same activities, and sees no problem continuing. It is something outside of the human experience, and that could be okay if she is joined by other entities like a similarly aged dragon. I was just thinking it is like someone playing Animal Crossing every day for so long, doing the same simple tasks every day, and suddenly see it being impressive.

It would otherwise be interesting if she was considered something like a guardian spirit of medicine that might be just considered a myth.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
One episode in and I would already die for Laika. And then there's all those interesting character designs in the ED we haven't met yet!
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
For generally no reason I wasn't sure I'd like this. I thought it'd be a lot like Bofuri: I don't want to get hurt so I'll max out my defense which I liked, I just didn't want to see a copycat of.

I generally like Isekai, pretty much most of them, female or male, with few exceptions.
I was more charmed by this show than I thought I would be. I liked the Guardian village witch quite a bit, and her apprentice dragon Raika looks like she'll provide someone to play off of well. If they are both the same age, it's odd to think Raika wouldn't be as powerful already as the witch...I don't hate the slow and steady wins the race approach, but will that help her any?

Looks fun enough!
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up with this show and I like it. Not mindblowing, but it manages to be charming, entertaining and occasionally quite funny. Somehow I really like Beelzebub. I feel like usually a character like her is far more high and mighty. Like they typically are actually kind within, but they are extremely reluctant to break that high and mighty character. But Beelzebub never really shows much unwillingness to help, she just goes straight to helping out the girls and while she acts a bit self-important she doesn't look down on others. And a character like Halkara brings jokes that actually make me laugh, something that Bofuri lacked.

So yeah, this show is surprisingly cool. Not the greatest cool, but cool nonetheless.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I definitely like this better than some of its similar shows. I think the big advantage it has over shows like Kuma^3 Bear or the like is that it sees having an OP protagonist as a tool to set up interesting situations, rather than trying to present a protagonist OPing her way through problems as itself interesting.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Rated this good. Inoffensive, occasionally funny and cozy. Exactly what you want from a show like this. Shows like this walk a fine line between boring and enjoyable, but this managed to be mostly enjoyable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:32 am Reply with quote
I think that saying that it is inoffensive is a good fit. It is a cute series, that has extra charm from things like using spoken sound effects, not being too bland, or too adult (or sexual). I might say that it also avoids being annoying, such as less than so with another slime isekai series.

I might though have one note. It is not hard to read yuri undertones into the series, especially between Azusa and Laika, perhaps with Halkara, and most certainly with Pecora. But at the same time with that, it also kind of comes down whenever the question of anything romantic comes up, so much that I don't think accusations of queerbaiting are out the question. Azusa's mother daughters relationship with Shalsha and Falfa is nice though.

My rating is also going to be Good (7/10), it is worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1