• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli's Toshio Suzuki Reveals Live-Action Nausicaä Offers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QueenGainer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Please keep Anno as far away from the project as possible!
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:43 am Reply with quote
QueenGainer wrote:

You know he worked on the original right?
QueenGainer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:21 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
QueenGainer wrote:

You know he worked on the original right?

Lol, I KNEW someone would have to point that out. YES, I'm fully aware he did. He was an animator. He directed the animation on one scene. That has nothing to do with the fact that, in my opinion, he's utterly incompetent as a creator, writer, and primary director.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'm not all that excited about the thought of a live-action Nausicaä, and would prefer an animated adaption of the manga, but I'm not opposed to live-action either since Nausicaä is one of the few Miyazaki titles that could actually work in that medium. Regardless, Anno seems like the obvious director choice to me. Whether or not he still wants to do it tho, after exhausting himself with Shin Eva and having tokusatsu remakes to keep him busy for years, remains to be seen.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd be fine with Anno directing such a project as well, should it ever come about. I haven't liked everything he's done, but he's probably the best choice.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
For once I’m siding with Miyazaki on something that I don’t think a live action Nausicaa would ever work. Nausicaa is my favorite Miyazaki film and I don’t see how they would be able to bring to life the complex fantasy world to life in a live action film, especially on a Japanese cinema budget, and I don’t trust Hollywood to accurately portray the themes and story and characters. I am interested though in seeing the Japanese kabuki stage play they made recently which covers the entire manga and it would be neat if it could get a release in the US. But the only Ghibli movie I could see actually working in live action would be Howl’s Moving Castle if they made a live action adaptation that was closer to the book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1