• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: By the Grace of the Gods Season 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farafra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
I watched this entire show expecting it to sour on me at some point. Then I got to the end and realized I had a pretty pleasant time. Barring the yikesy romance angle, I thought it was pretty good.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
IIRC the source novels had some slightly dark angles to them, esp. on Ryoma's former life.

Like how Ryoma's suffering on Earth was spoiler[part of some "trial" by Earth's god (gods have the power to establish "trials" to those they choose to become heroes; to perform great deeds and deal with crises in exchange for various kinds of benefits). Despite not having any real intended use for Ryoma, Earth's god kept hitting him one trial after another throughout his life, always rewarding him with increased (physical) strength and never gave him any manner of benefits that would actually help him live a better life in his world. The fantasy gods are totally puzzled and angry over this, wondering why Earth god would do such a thing to Ryoma.
]

The novels also have concluding sidestory chaptersspoiler[ taking place on Earth that detail the fallout of Ryoma's death. Like how Ryoma's nasty workplace supervisor abusing Ryoma's corpse upon discovery leads to a domino effect of said company's abuses of power and dirty laundry being discovered and aired out.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I think the review pretty much nailed how I felt about the series. It has it drawbacks, but it was so super wholesome and relaxing, it was always one of the first series each week I'd make time for. The slimes were always a fascinating delight bouncing around, and I liked how he took good care of his employees. Somehow even the obsession with cleaning, everything, all the time!, never got boring.

The potentially creepy aspect I thought was handled well, since they made it clear that the gods made it so his mind was adapting to being 11 again, rather than him just being a middle-aged salary man falling for a little girl. He could still retain his knowledge and memories from his old life for awhile, but his emotional responses were becoming that of a child. So I never felt squicked over it at all.

I'm really looking forward to the next season.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I read the manga and the anime compresses a lot, to the point that the characters sometimes act like automatons compared to their manga counterparts.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The series was an entertaining watch.

Didn't realize it was a show about a series I read years ago. The author started it up then abandoned the story when he felt it wasn't going in the right direction. He then started from the beginning again (with some minor changes) and seems to be on tract.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
This was one of my quarantine anime. Last year I was stuck in another city unable to leave because of the restrictions in my country so I didn't have much to do every day besides watching anime and tv series. This is the anime I recall most vividly from that time as I would always watch it, lying in bed, just before I went to sleep because of how soothing and relaxing it was. Really enjoyed it.

To be fair, I don't know if I would have liked it as much if it weren't for my circumstances at the time. On the other hand, maybe that's the point? The media that you like/remember the most is usually the one that "clicks" with the person you were the moment you consumed them. But what do I know.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think the review pretty much nailed how I felt about the series. It has it drawbacks, but it was so super wholesome and relaxing, it was always one of the first series each week I'd make time for. The slimes were always a fascinating delight bouncing around, and I liked how he took good care of his employees. Somehow even the obsession with cleaning, everything, all the time!, never got boring.

The potentially creepy aspect I thought was handled well, since they made it clear that the gods made it so his mind was adapting to being 11 again, rather than him just being a middle-aged salary man falling for a little girl. He could still retain his knowledge and memories from his old life for awhile, but his emotional responses were becoming that of a child. So I never felt squicked over it at all.

I'm really looking forward to the next season.

That is very much how I felt about it. A lot of people were complaining because I think they were expecting a typical fantasy RPG-type isekai and got the most iyashikei isekai I've seen thus far. I was actually hoping the show would be a slice of life and so I was very pleased.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
No reaction one way or the other on the dub from you personally Rebeccah?
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:08 pm Reply with quote
The parallels with Ryoma retaining his memories from being a middle-aged salaryman and Rudy in MT were close enough to be creepy, especially as both were interested in little girls..

Yet People were screaming "Pedo" at Rudy but not Ryoma - go figure.....

It was enjoyable fluff - but nothing special, I'll watch season 2 provided the adaptation stays solid.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:
Yet People were screaming "Pedo" at Rudy but not Ryoma - go figure.....

Perhaps that's because Rudy was an actual pedo in his former life and carried that over to his new life. And I don't recall Ryoma ever speculating on Elia's pubic hair or trying to feel her up, or collecting anyone's underwear except in a professional cleaning capacity (and even then only the slimes touched them and he returned them to their owners instead of making a shrine of them). Trying to morally equate these two characters is really reaching.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I never watched the anime past episode 1, but what Rebecca describes here is very similar to the reaction I had to the first three novels (which it sounds like is what the series adapted). Might go back and watch the rest if I get really bored during the summer, but it sounds like I didn't miss much by not following it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't sure what to expect when starting this, but ended up really looking forward to this bit of fluff each week Anime smile

I did find it a bit off putting though seeing Ryoma react the way he did sometimes (blushing and what not) in regards to Elia.

Still, can't wait to see more when season 2 comes out Smile
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:23 am Reply with quote
As someone who likes both iyashikei and isekai shows, I was hopeful for this one but I just didn't find the characters to be interesting enough and the production quality of the anime was too average so I didn't keep up with it. I think this show also came out the same season as that Kuma Bear show which I liked that one better.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
This was probably the most boring isekai show I've ever seen. I barely made it through it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1