• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Roger Craig Smith to Continue Voicing Sonic the Hedgehog in Future Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Not that I'm not glad that he's back, but I'm kind of wondering what happened considering how much was talked about him leaving.

I've seen theories that they were holding new auditions for Sonic and Roger auditioned again with a new take closer to what SEGA wanted and got the role again.

I guess the big hint Roger was coming back (or staying, rather) was that he was the narrator of the anniversary video they released yesterday.
OdnetninAges

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
He's definitely my favorite voice actor for Sonic, so I'm glad he's back in the role.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Huh, neat.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:22 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Not that I'm not glad that he's back, but I'm kind of wondering what happened considering how much was talked about him leaving.
I think it's like with Mike Pollock, the role was recast, so he auditioned again and got the role.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:08 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
I think it's like with Mike Pollock, the role was recast, so he auditioned again and got the role.

If that is the case, it's kind of weird that they didn't have him try a different take on it before looking to recast. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time that a decision came down from the rights holders that it had to be done, so I could see where even if the recording studio knew Roger could give the performance Sega wanted, they still had to go through with auditions anyway.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

If that is the case, it's kind of weird that they didn't have him try a different take on it before looking to recast. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time that a decision came down from the rights holders that it had to be done, so I could see where even if the recording studio knew Roger could give the performance Sega wanted, they still had to go through with auditions anyway.

This is far from the first time a long-running actor had to re-audition for their iconic role. David Hayter had to do just that for Metal Gear Solid 3 (& maybe 4 and Peace Walker, as well), because Hideo Kojima was so insistent on getting a Hollywood actor to play Snake by that point, though it didn't happen until MGS5 (& even then Keifer Sutherland barely said anything as Snake, likely to keep costs down).
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Did he voice Sonic in Sonic Spinball? The genesis game came out over 20 years ago, and I don't remember there being voice samples in the game.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Did he voice Sonic in Sonic Spinball? The genesis game came out over 20 years ago, and I don't remember there being voice samples in the game.

I think the article is actually referring to the identically named Sonic Spinball roller coaster that was at Alton Towers in England from 2010 to 2015 (before having its branding removed and renamed Spinball Whizzer). The Sonic voice clips were some of the first audio that Smith recorded as Sonic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1