• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shueisha Trademarks Clothing Patterns of 3 Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casenumber00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that the trademark wasnt for the mangaka or ufotable.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Interesting that the trademark wasnt for the mangaka or ufotable.

The trademark would apply towards most if not all forms of media and products.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised Kyōjurō Rengoku's wasn't rejected tbh, cause there are plenty of things out there with a similar flame design. The other rejections are understandable, and those accepted are unique enough. I just wonder how this will be applied, though, cause they would be stupid to go after fan art, though there are certain areas which don't care about trademarks and will continue to produce stuff with those designs
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Kinda surprised Kyōjurō Rengoku's wasn't rejected tbh, cause there are plenty of things out there with a similar flame design. The other rejections are understandable, and those accepted are unique enough. I just wonder how this will be applied, though, cause they would be stupid to go after fan art, though there are certain areas which don't care about trademarks and will continue to produce stuff with those designs

Japanese copyright law don't really care about stuffs like fanart (just look at the doujin scenes in Japan). They mostly care about other company using their copyrighted stuffs and people who use their official works without permission.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:43 am Reply with quote
Hm... I wonder why these trademarks weren't applied for when the series began? Surely all the costumes and patterns in the anime/manga would have to have been trademarked?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
@Actar

It probably wouldn't have been worth the effort until the series hit big. I suspect this is in direct response to someone trying to use the patterns and ride their coattails.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Hm... I wonder why these trademarks weren't applied for when the series began? Surely all the costumes and patterns in the anime/manga would have to have been trademarked?

The costumes would have already been trademarked yes. But if you sold a kimono with green and black squares on it, its okay so long as its not sold in association with demon slayer.

So by trademarking the patterns, its an additional level of protection, the pattern itself, not just the character and its clothing, will be trademarked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1