• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Misfit of Demon King Academy Manga Canceled Due to Author's Illness

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James02

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This might come out as being mean, I don't mean it to.
Since they knew about it back in 2019, why couldn't they have planned for this and given it a ending that didn't come out as being cancelled? They could have set everything up to a proper ending instead of a cancelled one.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
Since they knew about it back in 2019, why couldn't they have planned for this and given it a ending that didn't come out as being cancelled? They could have set everything up to a proper ending instead of a cancelled one.

Manga is not the source material, the Light Novel is.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
James02 wrote:

Probably because the manga is/was an adaptation of a longer-running Light Novel series that had far more material than could have been wrapped up quickly. Also, cancer isn't necessarily always a death sentence, just because he was diagnosed didn't necessarily mean he didn't still have decades of successful work ahead of him.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Probably because the manga is/was an adaptation of a longer-running Light Novel series that had far more material than could have been wrapped up quickly. Also, cancer isn't necessarily always a death sentence, just because he was diagnosed didn't necessarily mean he didn't still have decades of successful work ahead of him.

Unfortunately pancreatic cancer generally has poor outcomes, at least partially due to the fact that it's often not detected until it's very advanced.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Blaming someone for illness is a horrible thing to do. Frankly, I’m proud of the mangaka for working as long as they could.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
#James02 Keep in mind that most mangas adaptations of LN tend to stop before even reaching halfway of the original work, however, considering the popularity, i had hope for the manga to be a long running one.

I pray for his health to improve, he did a good job.

Maybe someone will launch a new adaptation like what happened with Adachi to Shimamura, the reason was different though.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
James02 wrote:

Cancer can go into remission or stop growing before showing back up with a vengeance. You didn't see Alex Trevek quit jeopardy immediately upon announcing he had cancer for example. Tons of actors have kept acting with cancer diagnoses even anime voice actors have continued until the very end. Its hard to guage how long someone will remain strong. They probably hoped to keep this manga going.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Heartbreaking circumstances for any manga to end. One of my grandmothers died from pancreatic cancer and it happened horribly fast (within 6 months of her diagnosis). I would have hated for any mangaka to feel like they had to work until the end under these circumstances, especially since "the end" could be in a year or three weeks. No matter how sad it is that it got cut short I would much rather the mangaka have this precious time with his family in any case of an almost certain terminal illness.

I do wonder why they almost never have artists who are able to finish a manga if the original creator passes. I know that it wouldn't be the same in almost every case, but sometimes a mediocre ending is better than no ending.

Also since it IS a LN adaptation they may reboot it down the line.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:
Heartbreaking circumstances for any manga to end. One of my grandmothers died from pancreatic cancer and it happened horribly fast (within 6 months of her diagnosis). I would have hated for any mangaka to feel like they had to work until the end under these circumstances, especially since "the end" could be in a year or three weeks. No matter how sad it is that it got cut short I would much rather the mangaka have this precious time with his family in any case of an almost certain terminal illness.

I do wonder why they almost never have artists who are able to finish a manga if the original creator passes. I know that it wouldn't be the same in almost every case, but sometimes a mediocre ending is better than no ending.

I think one, making plans for someone to take over when the person passes (gets incapacitated) is an uncomfortable and unsettling and difficult conversation to have (especially when people want to remain hopeful that the disease will go away). Some people downright feel it isnt right.

Also I dont think anyone feels comfortable continuing work that someone was unable to complete due to disease/death getting in the way. No one wants to do something to ruin the persons work.

Sure people can do it in performing arts (though sometimes, in the case of bands they take awhile to get comfortable with someone else joining,maybe a part of grieving) but I think Writing/Drawing is different.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, thank goodness the manga is still around.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

I think one, making plans for someone to take over when the person passes (gets incapacitated) is an uncomfortable and unsettling and difficult conversation to have (especially when people want to remain hopeful that the disease will go away). Some people downright feel it isnt right.

Also I dont think anyone feels comfortable continuing work that someone was unable to complete due to disease/death getting in the way. No one wants to do something to ruin the persons work.

Sure people can do it in performing arts (though sometimes, in the case of bands they take awhile to get comfortable with someone else joining,maybe a part of grieving) but I think Writing/Drawing is different.

I also think this is the main reason. I've seen many LN canceled/axed/in hiatus forever, with manga adaptation who had their WN completed, in this very case the mangaka could have continue further than the LN using the WN but they never did, they either stop when they catch up with the LN or together with the author hiatus/death announcement.

Remember what happened back then with Highschool of the Dead ?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I understand why they need to end the manga. I hope they're able to get the treatment they need to make them as comfortable as possible given the circumstances.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
That bites. I like the series and I wish them the best for a speedy recovery. Cancer's really a b****.
bodlat25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping Kayaharuka get well and make more manga inthe future.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:
I do wonder why they almost never have artists who are able to finish a manga if the original creator passes.

Well in most cases the artist relies on the writer so they can't just up and carry on or in other cases the writer and artist are the same and if they die that's the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2