• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Cramer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I wish the TV series' production values were closer to the prequel movie's, but I enjoyed it for what it was, and Arakawa has a much better understanding of soccer tactics than most soccer manga authors.

It just sucks that the show was budgeted for only 13 episodes, which were only enough to cover a little over a third of the manga (while skipping a lot of stuff), and it ends spoiler[before the protagonists finally win a match]. And now that the manga is over, a second season would be a really long shot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this TWIA. It sounds like the movie is the story I was expecting from the series, so now I want to see it. I gave up on the series when it seemed to switch protagonists after the first episode, which confused me, as did the fact that there were suddenly a truckload of characters who all looked alike except for a couple of outliers. Plus the not-really-animated thing (though I've kinda developed a tolerance for that sort of corner-cutting after 178 episodes of Ace of Diamond Smile). It's really rare for me to bail on a sports series, but this was one.

So I'm happy to know that I can actually see the story I wanted to see in the first place. That said, if I'd seen this movie first, I might've been less flummoxed by the series and stuck it out too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1