• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto, My Hero Academia, Sailor Moon Stage Plays to Stream in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty neat, I remember wanting to see the Naruto stage play years ago. Hopefully this paves the way for the Haikyu!! stage plays to be streamed. Even in stage play form, those boys are chaotic Very Happy
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Live Viewing Japan announced on Wednesday that it will stream three "2.5D" stage play programs from August 6 to August 26, including Live Spectacle Naruto, My Hero Academia: The "Ultra" Stage, and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: The Musical Nogizaka46 ver. 2019. Tickets are available on the company's website for viewers in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and Singapore.

I'm a little baffled on this strategy, why didn't they... oh I don't know put this on Netflix instead of using a obscure streaming that a lot of anime fans (including me) have never heard of.

I mean on Netflix recently, we had Japanese stage performances put up on the streaming platform like Banyuki (from 2009, but it's been put on Netflix very recently). And for those of you that don't know what I'm talking about. Have a look:

https://i.ibb.co/TvcW4Tk/ANN-picture-1-A.jpg

Yep, this has been available on US Netflix recently (and I assume worldwide too). That's not the only one, there are others like the Seven Souls series (also a stage play performance like Banyuki) that are available on Netflix for US and worldwide audiences to watch.

If Netflix was able to have these stage shows from Japan available for US and worldwide audiences, then why didn't the producer of the 2.5D stage play didn't thought of this too?

[I changed your img tags into url tags. The image is very large. By all means, post a smaller image if you like. Errinundra.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad to see the 2019 Sailor Moon musical get an official subtitled stream but it still would be nice to get Seramyu released on BD in NA at some point. The release of the musicals in NA has been so haphazard and weird. First it had a weird best of songs type of show at Anime Matsuri, then a very limited theatrical release of the most recent Stars musical, and then the 2.5D show had a limited run on the East Coast. The English release of the Seramyu shows have just been so all over the place and there’s still no way to own any of them. And from what I’ve heard of fans who have seen them, the subs have been of questionable quality.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:45 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I’m glad to see the 2019 Sailor Moon musical get an official subtitled stream but it still would be nice to get Seramyu released on BD in NA at some point.

I may not have looked in the right place or missed it, but on the ticket pages I didn't see any mention of english subs
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:40 am Reply with quote
I've been watching with interest as some of these ancillary pieces of multimedia projects -- stage shows, concerts, etc. -- try to figure out a workable system for distribution outside of Japan. Some of the idol franchises have had theatrical showings of their concerts in the US and Canada, but they've been few and far between. Maybe the broad reach of streaming might make these things more viable.

None of the three franchises in the article are my cup of tea, but I hope they succeed so there's some chance of getting to see a stage show of properties that I am into.

mdo7 wrote:
I'm a little baffled on this strategy, why didn't they... oh I don't know put this on Netflix instead of using a obscure streaming that a lot of anime fans (including me) have never heard of.

Because they would get fractions of pennies from Netflix, based on how few people would watch it there, while using a pay-per-view site lets them charge $15 a pop. Lots of niche things are only economically viable when the tiny fan base is willing to pay a high price. (In fact, $15 is a lot cheaper than I would have expected for these shows.)

Now if you'd argued why is it not on a more mainstream PPV or rental site like iTunes or Google Play, that'd be a pretty solid point. Seems like these events just prefer obscure streamers we've never heard of, as was the case with that BanG Dream! movie. It's also possible the bigger rental sites aren't compatible with an "event" model, where the stream is only available for a few days, or is only available live.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:29 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Considering most 2.5D musicals I've found on DVD usually cost around 7000 yen (sometimes less sometimes way more), there's no way they would stream them on Netflix.
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

They start with a pay per view model so they can make money from the die hards and then they can license out the recordings to streaming services later.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I’m glad to see the 2019 Sailor Moon musical get an official subtitled stream but it still would be nice to get Seramyu released on BD in NA at some point.

I may not have looked in the right place or missed it, but on the ticket pages I didn't see any mention of english subs

The official page states they will be screened with English subtitles.

$15 is a lot cheaper than usual, AND it's screened with subtitles. These shows are usually about 3000 yen minimum to watch them live, and DVDs cost a minimum of 8000 yen. Even the VOD is about 3000 yen.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:

The official page states they will be screened with English subtitles.

Ah, so I did miss it. Thanks Smile
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:41 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Quote:
Live Viewing Japan announced on Wednesday that it will stream three "2.5D" stage play programs from August 6 to August 26, including Live Spectacle Naruto, My Hero Academia: The "Ultra" Stage, and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: The Musical Nogizaka46 ver. 2019. Tickets are available on the company's website for viewers in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and Singapore.

I mean on Netflix recently, we had Japanese stage performances put up on the streaming platform like Banyuki (from 2009, but it's been put on Netflix very recently). And for those of you that don't know what I'm talking about. Have a look:

https://i.ibb.co/TvcW4Tk/ANN-picture-1-A.jpg

Yep, this has been available on US Netflix recently (and I assume worldwide too). That's not the only one, there are others like the Seven Souls series (also a stage play performance like Banyuki) that are available on Netflix for US and worldwide audiences to watch.

If Netflix was able to have these stage shows from Japan available for US and worldwide audiences, then why didn't the producer of the 2.5D stage play didn't thought of this too?

[I changed your img tags into url tags. The image is very large. By all means, post a smaller image if you like. Errinundra.]

Not everyone uses Netflix though like myself, So I could see why they would use a streaming site like this
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1