• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Studio KAI Produces Fuuto PI Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
I can't quite tell whether they're capable of pulling off a Kamen Rider anime beyond the fact that they've animated a show with a lot of bikes.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched Kamen Rider (though I've been told W is good) but this seems interesting. Hopefully it can be watched on its own (or I'll fall into a KR hellhole beforehand lol)
gpanthony

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I haven't watched Kamen Rider (though I've been told W is good) but this seems interesting. Hopefully it can be watched on its own (or I'll fall into a KR hellhole beforehand lol)

The comic gives a pretty good primer on W's corner of the world. Though W was a really, really good season and sold me on the series (certainly not a hellhole).
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
When people ask "Where should I start with Kamen Rider?" the most common suggestion is W alongside OOO because it is considered a modern classic. And based on what I've read, the Fūto Tantei manga is a fan pleaser.

I know nothing of Studio KAI's work, so I can't judge their ability, but considering the pedigree of the project if Toei feels that they are up to the job, then they have my confidence.

Honestly, I'm just excited to finally see a tokusatsu translated into anime (SSSS Gridman is a gray area) since tokusatsu is often, and accurately, described as "live action anime."
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
When people ask "Where should I start with Kamen Rider?" the most common suggestion is W alongside OOO because it is considered a modern classic.

I'd say Fourze is also a good Kamen Rider to start with. It's basically a high school anime in live-action form. Just...don't look up what happened to the actress playing Yuki.

Hopefully Shout Factory (who already have the 1971 original, Kuuga, and Zero-One) will license W soon so it'll be available alongside Fuuto Pi.
48 Rices

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:
When people ask "Where should I start with Kamen Rider?" the most common suggestion is W alongside OOO because it is considered a modern classic.

I'd say Fourze is also a good Kamen Rider to start with. It's basically a high school anime in live-action form. Just...don't look up what happened to the actress playing Yuki.

Look it up. It's quite an odd story involving "cults".
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

The comic gives a pretty good primer on W's corner of the world. Though W was a really, really good season and sold me on the series (certainly not a hellhole).

Toei had posted the first two episodes of W on their YouTube channel. It is definitely a send-up of detective (and cop) noir fiction, and while it has its flaws, it certainly works more often than it doesn't.

As an example, when I watched the episodes on YouTube, I realized I had completely forgotten how well the main characters were presented in terms of already being fully formed heroes in a vibrant world.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:04 am Reply with quote
Can anyone confirm whether in this manga series, the duo still get to transform into Kamen Rider W?
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:21 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Can anyone confirm whether in this manga series, the duo still get to transform into Kamen Rider W?

They still do. They even show forms that the original TV series didn't have, such as FangTrigger and FangMetal.

MagicPolly wrote:

The first two episodes of Kamen Rider W are on YouTube. If you like it, it is fully fansubbed and you can find it in the usual torrent places. The thing about Fuuto PI is that even though you can read it without Kamen Rider W knowledge beforehand, it gets better once you have watched the original series and its tie-in movies. A good comparison is starting JoJo in Part 3 and you are aware beforehand that other stuff happened prior to it and you decided to read or watch it, then you ended up re-reading Part 3 again, making that final battle between Jotaro and Dio even more satisfying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1