• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Review: Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:31 am Reply with quote
I just wish Darren acknowledged Kon at the Oscars....
MetaSoshi9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was overall underwhelmed by this film as well. What was especially surprising to me was the lack of discussion on the music involved in Kon's films even though it used Hirasawa's music throughout, it even had a somewhat random segment with a live performance that woulda fit perfectly to transition into discussion on that topic. I think this movie woulda benefited from more interviews with animators on his films and discussion on the hardships of working with such a perfectionist. It felt like it got caught up in getting the biggest names possible as interview subjects without considering just how much they could or would say about Satoshi Kon.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:41 am Reply with quote
MetaSoshi9 wrote:
I think this movie woulda benefited from more interviews with animators on his films and discussion on the hardships of working with such a perfectionist. It felt like it got caught up in getting the biggest names possible as interview subjects without considering just how much they could or would say about Satoshi Kon.

Agreed. Though it doesn’t surprise me that the people they spoke to were unwilling to give a nuanced depiction of the legendary director, both in deference to his talent and in conformity with the cultural norms of Japanese industry.

It also doesn’t surprise me that the most interesting interview was Aya Suzuki. To this day, I still think about the talk she gave at Anime Next with awe and wonder. Not only has she worked on some of the most groundbreaking animated projects, she also gives the most candid and insightful discussion of those projects and the context of their production history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1