• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Health Supplement Claiming to Fight COVID-19 Removes Endorsement By Sonny Chiba

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
This endorsement predates the pandemic, though, right?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:

Quote:
The president of Dr's Farma, the company which releases the supplement, has claimed that the product is "essential" as a countermeasure for COVID-19.

Basically them saying it fights Covid. Whether they added that line to an existing product once the pandemic kicked in or what, I don't know. The cached link is copyright 2016 at the bottom, so I don't know how recent his endorsement was, or how long they've been selling that particular item. It certainly sounds like he was taking supplements instead of bothering with the vaccine, though. Which makes this whole thing really [expletive] stupid and sad. Sad
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
The cached link is copyright 2016 at the bottom, so I don't know how recent his endorsement was, or how long they've been selling that particular item.

The copyright generally indicates when the business started. Sometimes they'll have xxxx-xxxx but often it's just whenever the company began.
Their website is useless but I can find mentions of Dr's水素 from 2018 etc so they've been around for a while. They probably just say the thing they're selling can cure whatever problem is happening at a certain point in time; i.e. they probably would've said it'd cure aids had they been around back during the aids panic.

As an aside, it's terribly sad Sonny Chiba died, but the thought of the website scrambling to remove all endorsements from him because it proves their product is useless is morbidly funny.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
If the reason he wasn't vaccinated was because he believed that bullshit like this would protect him...ugh. Sad
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Goes to show that products that rely heavily on celebrity endorsements should be considered highly suspect as to veracity or efficacy...Sonny may not have been using it (at least I hope not) but was just paid for his testimonial. RIP...
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Unverified alternative medicine proves yet again to kill people.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:39 pm Reply with quote
This is...morbidly ironic
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:23 am Reply with quote
Honestly given the horrendously low vacanation rate of japan, I doubt that this had to do with anti vaccine movement bull^=*$. however I am so tired of supplements that are seriously lacking in research claiming to cure or prevent covid or cancer or cure autism.
I want to actually rant but this isn't the place for soapboxing.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Honestly given the horrendously low vacanation rate of japan, I doubt that this had to do with anti vaccine movement bull^=*$. however I am so tired of supplements that are seriously lacking in research claiming to cure or prevent covid or cancer or cure autism.
I want to actually rant but this isn't the place for soapboxing.

While the vaccination rate for Japan's general populace is low, it is high for those over 65 years old. To quote a previous reply:

39.3% of Japan's population have received two COVID-19 vaccination shots as of August 19 (the day of Sonny Chiba's passing). However, 85.02% of the population 65 years old or older in Chiba prefecture (Sonny Chiba's home prefecture) have received two COVID-19 vaccination shots as of August 18.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5307907#5307907
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:11 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:

Even if it did, it's still a bad look no matter what to have your health supplement product being associated with someone who died from illness. It makes people think it doesn't actually help your health.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:33 am Reply with quote
If you’re interested why the younger crowd isn’t vaccinating:
1) They don’t want to take off work because of the side effects
2) There are tons of rumors about fertility, making women hesitant
3) There’s an extreme shortage of vaccines. None of my young friends who want to get vaccinated can.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:55 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
If you’re interested why the younger crowd isn’t vaccinating:
1) They don’t want to take off work because of the side effects
2) There are tons of rumors about fertility, making women hesitant
3) There’s an extreme shortage of vaccines. None of my young friends who want to get vaccinated can.

I had just assumed it was number 3. Number 1 though has to be the most Japanese reason that I could think up.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:09 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I had just assumed it was number 3. Number 1 though has to be the most Japanese reason that I could think up.
Plenty of poor people don't have the leeway to miss a few days.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:16 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Plenty of poor people don't have the leeway to miss a few days.

On top of that, reason #1 even affected people who weren't given a choice.

Specifically, Tokyo's Olympic support staff were denied a second vaccine shot until after the Games "to avoid possible disruptions in their duties."

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14399371

Edit: This was for support staff, as opposed to volunteers.

Last edited by Egan Loo on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
tsog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Honestly given the horrendously low vacanation rate of japan

Was true earlier but not so much any more. Japan is currently at 42.9% fully vaccinated as of 8/24 (source: Financial Times), ahead of countries like Australia and South Korea. When America was at 42.9% (it's 51.5% currently) few people would say it was "horrendously low".

I follow a lot of Japanese illustrators on Twitter, and many of them have reported getting 1st and/or 2nd shots. Japan on the whole is vastly more vaccinated now than even just two months ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2