• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Genshiken GN 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even new characters like Sasahara's social-butterfly sister are thoroughly fleshed out so that they can contribute to the comedy.

While it seems that she will have a bigger role in the remaining two volumes as she is joining the Genshiken, she isn't a new character. She first showed up back in volume 2 or 3.

Aside from that minor nitpick, I thought the review was spot on.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
Even new characters like Sasahara's social-butterfly sister are thoroughly fleshed out so that they can contribute to the comedy.

While it seems that she will have a bigger role in the remaining two volumes as she is joining the Genshiken, she isn't a new character. She first showed up back in volume 2 or 3.

Aside from that minor nitpick, I thought the review was spot on.
I think it's volume 2, as I just read that one and I'm pretty sure I remember her showing up, despite my RUI (Reading Under the Influence) as I went through vol. 2.
From this review, I think I've got a lot to look forward to as I continue through the series...it's like Madarame says, you don't consciously choose to become a fan [of Genshiken], it's something that just happens, and before I knew it, I owned the series in fansub, DVD, and manga formats. I recall another post about the "atomization" of fandom in Japan, i.e. 20something otaku are supposed to like series M, 12-year-old girls are supposed to like series N, 10-year-old boys are supposed to like Series O, and going outside those boundaries puts you in violation of Japan's social conformity rules.
Genshiken was mentioned via, "but in America, you see female fans of Genshiken & Air and male fans of Fruits Basket & DN Angel." The series really is more than just otaku culture references; I'd like to think that girls could relate to Saki's competition against fandom for Kohsaka's attention, as guys tend to have male pursuits in order to escape the women they love for awhile Very Happy
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Genshiken is currently my favorite manga series(tied with FMA). So when I saw this review, I just chuckled to myself about Ogiue's doujinshi, but was also estatic to see my fave series get the good review it did. Personally, I really relate to Ohno. Besides the fact that I love cosplay and BL like she does, she constantly tries to get people into the same things she's into, whether it be getting Saki and Ogiue to cosplay, or anything else. I'm also like that, only I try to get my friends who aren't into anime and manga into it (I got a friend into Marmalade Boy; another became a Miyazaki fan; and another was so intrigued by it that she went out on her own to get into manga and anime, and became a Shojo Beat fan, especially Nana and Godchild). Also, Ohno was the first female otaku in the club, and I can understand being the only otaku around, let alone girl otaku!

Oh, and this is odd, but Ogiue's doujinshi inspired me to right my own Madarame/Sasahara doujinshi.....Razz I'll probably sell it at Artist Alley/cons and online. lol.....

And I love that Madarame's job is only 10 minutes from the college. It's so fitting for him! Smile
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Great review.. *sigh*.. there goes $10, I'm probably going to go pick this up today because I can't wait to read it.

Genshiken is also one of my favorite manga series and for any fan I think there is someone you can really relate to, which is a lot of fun. I'll agree with hanachan01 in that I relate to Ohno the most as well... I don't cosplay, but I'd love to (if I could sew and put the time and money into it), but I also try and spread my love of anime around, and am not really ashamed of my nerdiness. Although my boyfriend insists that I must be part Kohsaka, because even though I have "nerd interests" I appear to be somewhat of a normal person... and I'm clueless/oblivious he said.. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Great review.. *sigh*.. there goes $10, I'm probably going to go pick this up today because I can't wait to read it.
It is more like $11 or $10.95 if you want to be precise.
Carlo Santos wrote:
Ever the slacker, he offers some terrific advice for filling out a resume: list your hobbies as "literature" for manga, "film" for anime, "computer science" for video games, and "music appreciation" for theme songs.

So obsessive is the level of background detail that a random doujinshi dropped on the ground features tiny silhouettes of Edward Elric and Roy Mustang on the cover.
I wonder if Madarame's tips would work in reality since I need to make my resume look appealing to employers. I remember Ogiue dropping her doujinshi bumping into Ohno. A reference to Fullmetal Alchemist or "Haregan" in the manga? I must have missed that somewhere. I'd better go and check it out again for that.

Overall, I enjoyed this volume. I like how this volume focused a lot on Ogiue which gives you a chance to know here better. For her, it is all about "Scram Dunk." This volume reminds me of the first volume with Sasahara and his struggle to accept himself for who he is.

I liked the "Project G" stories. I one I liked the most is the one with the group discussing about how they would be made into a doujinshi. I liked the part spoiler[where Sasahara shouts out "How dare you whack off to my Ogiue!" with Ogiue in the background at a "convenient" time.]

I look forward to the seventh one in a few months. I remember sometime back somewhere I saw that the Japanese version of the sixth one had two covers: the one we have and "special" one with Ogiue in a swimsuit.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
I look forward to the seventh one in a few months. I remember sometime back somewhere I saw that the Japanese version of the sixth one had two covers: the one we have and "special" one with Ogiue in a swimsuit.

Yes, that is http://poirot.air-nifty.com/ibb/bought/2005/06/050624_genshiken06.jpg
I'm sorry it's so small! It's the only one I could find!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
I remember sometime back somewhere I saw that the Japanese version of the sixth one had two covers: the one we have and "special" one with Ogiue in a swimsuit.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=182505#182505
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

Overall, I enjoyed this volume. I like how this volume focused a lot on Ogiue which gives you a chance to know here better. For her, it is all about "Scram Dunk." This volume reminds me of the first volume with Sasahara and his struggle to accept himself for who he is..
That's right!! I thought it all felt familiar. Ogiue is a very complex character and this volume helped show that she is just as much of a otaku as the rest. She actually reminds me of a friend of mine.

This story just keeps getting better and better.

The Naked Beast wrote:
I liked the "Project G" stories. I one I liked the most is the one with the group discussing about how they would be made into a doujinshi. I liked the part spoiler[where Sasahara shouts out "How dare you whack off to my Ogiue!" with Ogiue in the background at a "convenient" time.]
Laughing Oh, yes. That was very funny. I think that my friends and I have had conversations like that before. Shocked
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
since i read the doujinshi portion im a kanji/ogiue chick

plus the chapter with maderame and saki made me like that pairing.

mada and kanji i think is ewww.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I think Madarame and Sasahara pairing is hilarious and out there...therefore I had to fight a totally non-serious comedy doujinshi about them! lol

But I don't like the Ogiue and Sasahara pairing. I think it would be funny if Sasahara was into Ogiue(which I think will happen), but Ogiue wouldn't date him because she was embarrased about the doujinshi she wrote(which probably won't).

And I like Madarame and Saki pairing. I'm actually planning a doujinshi series about this, and I hope it turns out well Smile

And Tanaka and Ohno-I hope they stay together forever! Smile They are a really good couple, and are really cute together!

Some girls like bishounen-I prefer otaku. Razz
galenow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
While I was in Japan last month I picked up "Genshiken Offical Book" ISBN 4-06-334955-1 Kio Shimoku, KCDX. 2004.
Of Course I can't read it but it is a good view and seems to cover both Genshiken and K.U. with Author's stories included.
Has anyone heard of this book and if it will be translated and sent
over here? I sure hope so...
Cheers,
Galenow
hanachan01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of it, but I will be scouring my import stores and the internet for it now, since I'm a hardcore Genshiken otaku Razz lol
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
wow i hope so. can you do a scan of the book sometime? please.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I really enjoyed this issue. Especially the previous issues. I never had plans to get into this book until I saw the first DVD. After that I said one day I'll read the book.

The first review helped me to make that decision but it wouldn't be until years and several other books later. The book's text was what kept me away. And with so many other things on my mind...

Finally I decided sit down and delve into this book. Starting with the first volume (even if there was a possibility that I might have read it before and didn't remember) all the way up to v.7.

The story and characters are really thought out. Concentrating on people from all walks of life. I especially found it touching towards the end of this volume. I felt like crying. That's how well I really got to know the characters, and now some were graduating. The character 'Saki', whom I disliked at first, seemed to create some peace within me later on. She became a very key figure in helping the very people she tried so hard to steer clear from. It's like that saying, everyone has their role to play. And sometimes we can't help being involved in things we don't want to. I liked how the creator mapped that out. He found a way to use her non-otakuness to help better the others.

Another interesting character I took fancy in is 'Ogiue'. I think she was the one that finally drew my attention back to the book. I wanted to know what her involvement was with the group as well as her problems. She was angry all the time. Then you get some idea. Talk about "self loathing". At the same time sad. Yet the gang was willing to work with her no matter how much she rejected them. In time things start coming together. And I'm curious to see how the relationship between her and 'Sasahara' will develop. Funny thing is that he's supposedly the protagonist but he sort of took a backseat for awhile. But now he's moved back into the light. Taking charge of the club and later trying to figure out what he wants to do with himself. A really excellent read dealing with so many personal issues on so many levels.

While I'm not crazy about the small type, I have to give 'Del Rey' their dues for keeping certain nuances and honorifics intact. Also, reference material explaining some of the cultural aspects of Japanese life among these young individuals.

I can't wait to read the last volumes. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1