• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kakushigoto Theatrical Edition

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.o.R

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Re: the wordplay in the title. Should it not be kakushi goto to mean "secret thing" and kaku shigoto to mean "drawing work"?

I remember dreading the end of the series since I both wanted and didn't want to know what happened to Kakushi.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
One thing I appreciated about this compilation movie is that it added an interesting detail from the manga that didn't make it to the TV series: the reveal that spoiler[Hime's mom was losing her ability to see color before she died. That new final scene with Hime coloring that heartwarming, gag-free family manga by Kakushi based on her mom's instructions was very nice.]
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Re: the wordplay in the title. Should it not be kakushi goto to mean "secret thing" and kaku shigoto to mean "drawing work"?

Correct. I came here to say the same thing.
Kaku = to draw
Shigoto = work
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Corrected the wordplay in the summary, thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

If the option to legally stream the TV series exists, though, then by all means, go with that one. It will do everything right that this movie does, and it will have room to tell Hime and Kakushi's full story, as originally intended.

The series can be streamed on Funimation's site.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen either the movie or the series, but wasn't the point of the movie to have the manga's ending since the anime had an original ending? Someone I know said the ending to the series was weird so I assume the movie was supposed to fix that
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:47 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I haven't seen either the movie or the series, but wasn't the point of the movie to have the manga's ending since the anime had an original ending? Someone I know said the ending to the series was weird so I assume the movie was supposed to fix that

The TV series had the exact same ending as the manga. Both ended around the same time, and Kumeta finished the last chapter (or at least the rough layouts for it) in time for it to get animated. The one detail from the manga's ending that was missing from the TV ending, which I mentioned above under spoiler tags, was added to the compilation movie.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

The TV series had the exact same ending as the manga. Both ended around the same time, and Kumeta finished the last chapter (or at least the rough layouts for it) in time for it to get animated. The one detail from the manga's ending that was missing from the TV ending, which I mentioned above under spoiler tags, was added to the compilation movie.

Ah ok, I didn't click on that becuase I plan on watching the series at some point. Glad to know the movie isn't 100% required viewing for the "right" ending, but still adds something new.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
For those've you that seen the Tv anime and read the manga, how does the former stack up to the latter, esp. w/r/t the ending? I watched the first few episodes and like it, but then started reading the manga and feel like I shouldn't finish watching till I'm done reading....
Joa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
For those've you that seen the Tv anime and read the manga, how does the former stack up to the latter, esp. w/r/t the ending? I watched the first few episodes and like it, but then started reading the manga and feel like I shouldn't finish watching till I'm done reading....

The ending is the same, but the anime skips like half the manga. There are a lot of manga chapters skipped throughout the whole anime, and then it just jumps straight to the ending after volume 8 out of 12.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:11 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

The ending lacks a little of the emotional value in the anime because of the detail formerly mentioned here in the thread, and the manga in general just explainsspoiler[ the mother situation] quite a bit more
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1