• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Taisho Otome Fairy Tale (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote

Taisho Otome Fairy Tale (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Theme: historical

Plot Summary: Tamahiko Shima is a young man who lost the use of his right hand in an accident, and now lives in a rural area of Chiba prefecture to take care of his health. One day he meets the naïve and devoted Yuzuki, whom Tamahiko's father bought to be Tamahiko's wife. Through this meeting, the pessimistic and and withdrawn Tamahiko begins to change.

Oct. 8, 2021 (Fridays; FUNimation)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Really wish they told us the age of the female lead. Otherwise, it's a cute romance anime, but the age thing is bothering me to no end, and no culture differences is going to make up for that so please don't try to wash it away with that nonsense.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Think I might finally change my avatar as I think I've found a new peak of cuteness. This show is the epitome of cute and heartwarming.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
Really wish they told us the age of the female lead. Otherwise, it's a cute romance anime, but the age thing is bothering me to no end, and no culture differences is going to make up for that so please don't try to wash it away with that nonsense.

According to her character's description on the manga's official webpage on the Jump SQ webstie she's 15 years old while he's 19.

Edit: Just found from the manga, that their age difference is even closer at only 3 years. She's 14, he's 17, which is pretty much the norm.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:04 am Reply with quote
And not to mention, it came up in the episode; Yuzu was in middle school who wasn't yet 15 while Tama was outright said to be 17.

Review of the episode: The manic pixie dreamgirl is eternal... but that's only on the surface; More likely is that Yuzu is just putting up a front and she's under no delusions that she was sold by her father to settle a debt. But that puts us closer to... Pretty Woman is eternal.

Let's split the difference; They're kids stuck in an awful situation and trying to make something resembling a life. Going by the credits, it'll evolve into a Taisho era school comedy... I have to say, I'm genuinely intrigued by that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:33 am Reply with quote
Ep 6

Did anyone else feel like maybe Tamako isn't really having as good a time at school as she said? It'd be nice if Yuzu's recipes and stuff really had helped her make friends, but I'm wondering if half the reason she called Tamahiko was because she was lonely, since she also didn't want to admit she wanted to acknowledge his birthday. Girl's got issues.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote
Back then, all girls had issues, particularly the ones who had notions. Tamako wants to move away from being a bargaining chip for her father to becoming a doctor. In short, she wants to become an actual person and not just future Mrs [guy's full name]..

She's fine if not downright awesome. She's socially awkward but if that's the only scar she got from her father then she's ahead of Tamahiko.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote

Well that turned out all rosy. I can't help but feel apprehensive about the whole thing, especially given their father's track record. Nobody asked "How did you get this job? Who will you be working for? What will they have you doing?" Kid looks like he's 8.

Well, at least the unpaid teaching gig seems to be doing good.

He gives all these personal reasons why he can't get married, but the biggest one to me seems like the fact that he's officially dead. Still not quite sure how that works. Doesn't he need papers to do anything at all, like, oh, go to school?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
I don't think that he's officially dead by government standards, just by his family, especially considering that his father set him up with a place to live, a future bride, and, apparently, a small income.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
But he told all his business contacts (and likely political connections) he was dead - didn't they even hold a funeral? Maybe I extrapolated that from their show of mourning... But he definitely went farther than simply disinheriting him.

I think to his father a "wife" just means someone to bone, not necessarily to legally wed (legal heirs could cause problems) and the rest is to buy his silence in an out of the way place. If he goes to school, that's not exactly being silent, since who knows who he might run into, in the scions of his father's acquaintances, who could then reveal the lie.

Like I said, I don't know how this "my son is dead" stuff (rather than "my son is dead to me") is supposed to work. Smile
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
If he can officially kill his son that easily even though he's alive I'm sure he can just create a new ID for him with another name or something silly like that. Don't really see it as a real impediment - just something that he'll absolutely need his father's help with
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Well that turned out all rosy. I can't help but feel apprehensive about the whole thing, especially given their father's track record. Nobody asked "How did you get this job? Who will you be working for? What will they have you doing?" Kid looks like he's 8.

Ah to be young again and in the time before child labor laws.... how many of us would be dead? Spitting some key words... looks like Child labor laws weren't a thing in Japan until 1947. How... awkward.

It's amazing we made it this far as a species if we thought of any kids other than our own to be nuisances.... as well as any kids past the first MALE to be nuisances in the family itself...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

That seems to be end. I guess it was kind of cute, but mostly meh. I think a particular problem I had with really getting into the show was a sense of cultural dissonance, which I would guess it mostly fit the time period that it is set, but a little hard for me to get behind. Things like from the outset child brides. I guess that I wasn't too hot on the parts that felt like romanization of the time period. And things like Yuzuki is such a great bride because she is so good at chores. The episodes I probably did like is when she won over the sister, and when they went into the city and did some shopping. I think that the first because it did have Yuzuki come across a bit stronger, and the second because it gave a bit of the future being cool too.

I don't really have much to say about Tamahiko. Some growth is cool, but I guess that I got a bit annoyed by his woe is him stuff, and largely feeling like he was pulled around by the plot. Perhaps things like senses of morality in what is considered chaste or proper could be right for the time period, but it largely came across as a little frustrating in the mind of modern sensibilities. But again it had its charms, like the time period idea of a musical idol.

My rating will be So-so (5/10), it didn't really grab my attention.
aldonkak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:03 am Reply with quote
hi

I'm thinking about changing my avatar now that I've reached a new level of cuteness. This show is adorable and heartbreaking in equal measure.

EDIT: Advertising tag removed. Any future attempts to add those will get you put on Moderated status. - Key]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1