Forum - View topic
NEWS: Laws of the Universe Ranks at #3, Macross at #8 in Japanese Box Office




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
taishou*



Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 119
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:24 am Reply with quote
So... How many tickets did each Happy Science member have to buy? These guys are really aggressive in their recruiting, I've heard of them using free tickets as a means to try to recruit unwitting people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagicPolly



Joined: 26 Nov 2020
Posts: 578
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:33 am Reply with quote
I gotta watch all the Happy Science movies one day, they seem like a real trip
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#Neothegreenland



Joined: 07 Oct 2021
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
So... How many tickets did each Happy Science member have to buy? These guys are really aggressive in their recruiting, I've heard of them using free tickets as a means to try to recruit unwitting people.


ah yes, sweet sweet cults recruiting foolish people and scamming them afterwards.

it's a miracle they are not banned already...yet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hellsoldier



Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 565
Location: Porto,Portugal,Europe,Earth,Sol
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
#Neothegreenland wrote:
taishou* wrote:
So... How many tickets did each Happy Science member have to buy? These guys are really aggressive in their recruiting, I've heard of them using free tickets as a means to try to recruit unwitting people.


ah yes, sweet sweet cults recruiting foolish people and scamming them afterwards.

it's a miracle they are not banned already...yet


They remind me of the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, a Brazilian Prosperity-theology Evangelical cult with considerable presence in Portugal. When the film version of their 10 Commandments series was released, they were telling members with financial means to buy tickets for members with less means.

They also gave a batch of copies of a book by a brazilian former model who converted to the church.

These are bad memories and I wish I could erase them. That's all I have to say on this matter.

Edit: Freyja & Co. deserve better than being surpassed by a film made by a cult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
residentgrigo



Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1943
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Happy Science movies now chart at No 1 instead of running in empty cinemas on release. Did they pull a Scientology this year and buy tickets on mass? I wonder if Battlefield Earth will get an anime one of these days...

Their very first film was The Terrifying Revelations of Nostradamus 1994. A live-action production so it is more and less strange than usual and The Laws of the Universe 3 looks to be extra insane. This isn´t the ThunderCats reboot anyone asked for, that is for sure. Behold these Space Cats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2thr2IiD0c
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016



Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 2119
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
So... How many tickets did each Happy Science member have to buy? These guys are really aggressive in their recruiting, I've heard of them using free tickets as a means to try to recruit unwitting people.


Late reply, but they did this to me in 2012. Gave free tickets. A lot of them. On the one hand, I had no idea they were cult members and was appreciative. On the other hand, now that I know, I feel bad for them...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 3504
Location: New York
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Wait, Happy Science movies now chart at No 1 instead of running in empty cinemas on release. Did they pull a Scientology this year and buy tickets on mass? I wonder if Battlefield Earth will get an anime one of these days...


There actually was a Battlefield Earth cartoon in the pipeline after the movie was greenlit, but the movie being a legendary flop killed it. Given Scientology's public reputation at this point, it would have to be outsourced if they tried.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group