• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gantz Creator Didn't Know Who Was Directing the Hollywood Live-Action Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Did not realize this was a possibility. Gotta admit, of all the anime/manga Hollywood adaptations this makes the most sense. Especially when the manga illustrates that there are Gantz teams across the globe.

Hopefully, Oku will have a chance to visit the set if it gets to that stage. It would be such a sweet thing considering Gantz is basically inspired by Hollywood blockbusters.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely a title that lends itself better to a live action adaptation. There is very little in terms of effects and visuals that can't be done in LA from Gantz. In my mind the success, or failure, will come down to 2 primary things.

1. Do they actually give this a decent budget? If they don't it will look like old low budget Sci-Fi channel monster films. Those are great, if that's what you want. 2. Will it be rated R or PG 13? Deadpool showed us what a rated R comic book movie can do. Yes that is different from the Gantz manga, but similar enough to show that a rated R film for something like this can work. Given the nature of the manga, and anime, if they go PG-13 on this it will be a watered down mess and fail miserably I wager.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
2. Will it be rated R or PG 13? Deadpool showed us what a rated R comic book movie can do. Yes that is different from the Gantz manga, but similar enough to show that a rated R film for something like this can work. Given the nature of the manga, and anime, if they go PG-13 on this it will be a watered down mess and fail miserably I wager.

It the movie retains some of the more stupid & iffy parts of the manga the rating will be the last of the movie’s problems.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
If this is actually made then I'll probably watch it at some point still curious if we'll ever see a Live action Akira film.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:23 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

It the movie retains some of the more stupid & iffy parts of the manga the rating will be the last of the movie’s problems.

I've not read all of the manga, but many volumes. I agree many parts would be...problematic perhaps (social backlash) to put on the big screen. Overall though even much of that material I would wager would be more overlooked if the action sequences live more up to the manga in terms of violence and graphic nature. If it's PG-13 then any and all other issues will stand out more. Think of it like the Michael Bay effect. The explosions and shiny action scenes are enough to distract most from the actual dialogue and acting deficiencies.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:19 am Reply with quote
too bad vinico del totoro did not get to direct this one as he imtended.
#Neothegreenland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
Gantz is an R rated work by nature, if they rate it down as PG 13 then all things about it will have to be toned down and possibly censored, it better be R rated if it ever gets made.

but i'm very skeptical about this since hollywood has enough grip accepting comic book adaptations being R rated despite being backed by major studios like fox such as with deadpool.

this is even worse for a ''japanese comic'' with no notable? backing from a major studio from what i see unless sony is gonna produce this ofc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1