• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia THE MOVIE: World Heroes' Mission

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No real tension nor character development for our heroes, boring original character, forgettable movie villains

I think anybody could have told you that. Its another forgettable shounen action filler movie. Just like the first 2.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:
No real tension nor character development for our heroes, boring original character, forgettable movie villains

I think anybody could have told you that. Its another forgettable shounen action filler movie. Just like the first 2.

I second that. This is stuff that is taken for granted before anybody decides to watch a movie like that. I honestly struggled to remember bits from the first one, and the only memorable moment from the second one was the final battle (which was supposed to be MHA's original ending if the series didn't get this popular). Filler movies like this usually just dedicate themselves to "fanservice", namely cute interactions between the characters and cool fights.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Pity, I actually wasn't too big on the 2nd movie and prefered the first 1 by far (even if that one did just feel like a long TV episode, in the worst ways sometimes). I'll probably check it out whenever it's widely available digitally and I'm bored one day to see for myself. While I get that most of these movies are meant to be one and done deals with no ties to the show I'm still usually, at least a teeny bit hopeful, that one of them might turn out to be a genuinely good movie in it's own right Ala one piece movie 6 or something. Oh well sounds like this one wasn't that.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
RIP, I loved the first movie and skipped the second one because the ending sounded imbecilic. Maybe the next movie will be better.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
RIP, I loved the first movie and skipped the second one because the ending sounded imbecilic. Maybe the next movie will be better.

The ending of the second one was one of the original planned ending for the series.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I heard good things about it. Shame it did not click with the reviewer.

Excited to see it! Hopefully we get it by September/October.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like they wanted to do something akin to Superman/Batman: Public Enemies but didn't quite pull the trigger all the way. If the heroes did believe Deku was guilty and he was stuck fighting his way through familiar heroes and people who knew familiar heroes, it would have worked better. It also helped that the main villain of the former film was Lex Luthor after he became President, a known commodity with a known relationship to the heroes, while here we're introduced to a bunch of no-names, instead of a familiar face that could have tied everything together.

This isn't the first time MHA has cribbed notes from Western comics, and it usually tends to do so pretty well (the whole Eri arc being a unique spin on "The Cure!" from X-Men), but in this case it actually loses points for not going in on the plot as deep as its inspiration did.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
The ending of the second one was one of the original planned ending for the series.
And it would've been a terrible one, holy christ.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:

This seems like a silly complaint, you'd think the reviewer had never watched a Shonen tie-in movie before because this is usually the case and should be what anyone expected going in.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:32 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
And it would've been a terrible one, holy christ.

And would you know it, that’s how development works, things change over time. Who’d a thought it. Still an interesting story beat to see especially since it’s not how the story will end on.

Beatdigga wrote:
This isn't the first time MHA has cribbed notes from Western comics, and it usually tends to do so pretty well (the whole Eri arc being a unique spin on "The Cure!" from X-Men), but in this case it actually loses points for not going in on the plot as deep as its inspiration did.

In fairness that is par for the course for these types of movies. While the original creator does have some involvement, they aren’t the ones actually writing this. I remember this one bit about how the author of Bleach provided a lot of lore and story for the Hell Verse movie, that went completely unused in the final product by the writers making the film.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:01 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

In fairness that is par for the course for these types of movies. While the original creator does have some involvement, they aren’t the ones actually writing this. I remember this one bit about how the author of Bleach provided a lot of lore and story for the Hell Verse movie, that went completely unused in the final product by the writers making the film.[/quote]

Its funny you mention this as it can't be any coincidence that Kubo's new chapter for Bleach's 20th anniversary focuses on Hell. If he does all arc focusing on it in the future it'll be Kubo's way of showing fans what he you'll had planned compared to what was shown in Film 4.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Quote:

This seems like a silly complaint, you'd think the reviewer had never watched a Shonen tie-in movie before because this is usually the case and should be what anyone expected going in.

This is a really weird defense against criticism. Laughing

"All our movies are fundamentally bad storytelling! You're supposed to be numb to it! Why would you complain about that!?"
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
Quote:

This is a really weird defense against criticism. Laughing

"All our movies are fundamentally bad storytelling! You're supposed to be numb to it! Why would you complain about that!?"

Because I don't really see it as bad. I know it's not canon it's just meant to be a big budget adventure nothing wrong with that. But there was no reason to expect anything other than what the first 2 films delivered. It's like complaining about kids movie only being entertaining to kids. What exactly did you expect?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
Well, sounds like a typical Shonen anime film with good production values.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
When I approach spin-off films of long-running series, I always approach them as stand-alones, meaning I don't concern myself with their canon effects on the main story. They're promotional reels. They sell tickets and merch. The movie's plot constraints are set before they begin writing. I don't care about the restraints. I care about the quality within those restraints.

Honestly, I just got out of the theater and the movie definitely felt like filler, much of the cast outside Deku and Rodi were filling background roles and didn't matter to the film's story, and the antagonist (and how he is beat) felt pretty contribed, but the film had one narrative focus and that focus had very little to do with the plot or antagonist. It had to do with this original movie character, Rodi.

I love him and he's my favorite movie sidekick now.

The twist involving his quirk caught me off guard and made him a very compelling character, stacking a layer I didn't expect and actually made me want to watch the film again so could reinterpret a few scenes with that in mind. I genuinely enjoyed the movie thanks to him and how he bounced off of Deku. Honestly, I will be sad never to see him again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2