• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New 'Webtoon Unscrolled' Imprint Unveiled With Tower of God Manhwa

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
I wonder what the price of these will be? Considering they are full color. I also wonder how they will make each page flow properly when you can't just scroll things. American comics have converted from digital to print before, with uneasy success.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
boyfriends seems like such an interesting choice of those would look into it

curious where they will release these, i mean, its america? unfamiliar.
Quicknav

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I've always wondered why print versions of webtoons haven't gotten many English language releases (until now I suppose). I had guessed it was an untested market and that publishers weren't confident if readers would want reformatted versions of these series. Then there's also the reformatting work that has to be done, and if such work would be done by the publisher themselves, which seems will happen with Doom Breaker and the ones mentioned after it. Some Korean webtoons do get their own print runs in their native country (like Tower of God and True Beauty), so those can simply be licensed. Even so, those releases can be a bit uncertain. For instance, Noblesse never had its final season released in print, despite the fact the publisher printed the entire first 7 seasons (the anime didn't seem to affect anything either). God of High School had its first volume in 2017, and without the advent of the anime, I doubt that its second (2020) and third (2021) volumes would've been printed. And this is not even accounting for the lesser-known series.

On another note, I'm curious of how the presentation of the reformatted print versions will feel. These series were originally created for an infinite canvas and not a two-page spread, so I wonder how the impact of each series' artwork can change. To me personally, the infinite canvas has felt more limited compared to what a splash page or full page panel can achieve.

RockSplash wrote:
I wonder what the price of these will be? Considering they are full color. I also wonder how they will make each page flow properly when you can't just scroll things. American comics have converted from digital to print before, with uneasy success.

For pricing, you can get an idea by looking at the webtoon-turned-print comics that have been/will be released in English like Dark Horse's upcoming The Hellbound and Yen Press' Milkyway Hitchhiking and Solo Leveling. There's also OEL webtoons like Lore Olympus and Hooky. As for how the formatting is done, you can try comparing the ebook previews of the last three I mentioned with the original counterparts (as their official/legal versions are easy to find online).

Last edited by Quicknav on Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
gebbin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

In Japan, Korean webtoons from LINE and Kakao have been getting popular to the point that some series get physical releases. I've checked out the previews of what the physical print versions of those manga look like, and they're basically left to right (since that's how the original Korean is read) so that doesn't change for Japanese versions. Then basically what they do is, at least for Japanese releases, get rid of all the white space from scrolling and then turn put all the panels together into a traditional comic/manga-style format. It's pretty interesting to see actually.

These physical releases cost a lot more than a black and white manga go for. So basically 1000 yen for a Korean series rather than 400-500 for a black and white manga release.

Not sure how the original Korean releases look like (maybe it's exactly the same and Japanese publishers copy and paste from Korean releases first) but this is how Japanese publishers deal with publishing webtoons.

I wouldn't be surprised if English releases were similar, but we'll see.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
The webtoon -> book format manhwa I've seen (The Abandoned Empress, upcoming from Yen Press) reads quite naturally in book form, enough that it weirded me out when I saw the scrolling version later. (the book form already exists as a Korean publication, so there's no need to redo the layout for a translated edition.) Since so much of the art is created digitally, I expect many artists think ahead and keep layered artwork that can be rearranged as needed for an eventual book release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1