• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Cowboy Bebop Costume Designer Jane Holland

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote
First of all, love this coverage <3

As someone who has done freelance jobs on prop and costume designing for local cosplayers before, this is an article that has made my former costume designer self, happy! Of course, sticking to the subject, the most that I was concerned with was Faye Valentine's, especially with the beautiful red overlay. With all the action going on, it can hinder movement and possibly land the actress into an accident. I love how she focused on function and also in the end, maintained the anime Faye's costume colors. She still maintained that overlay style of Faye in a form of a jacket, which was pretty smart!

I love that she has also took an effort to look at Japanese designers and tailoring as well. The anime being a retro sci-fi look and with a mix of Japanese and American elements, her enumeration of her influences on the costume designs and creative process has shown her flexibility as a creative.

Can't wait to watch it soon!
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the costume designer definitely has reverence for the source material.

If only that were the case for the scriptwriter...
RockSplash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Sounds like the costume designer definitely has reverence for the source material.

If only that were the case for the scriptwriter...

That is what the problem is. Despite the music, set design, costuming, effects, and even directing being close in tone with Bebop, the script is apparently not there at all. Some have said it even feels condescending with the anime(such as over explaining certain things. Spike's name is a pseudonym for some reason).
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:50 am Reply with quote
Post removed along with response.

Creating alts while on moderation isn't permitted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:39 am Reply with quote
I would have to see more than just the trailer to be able to comment on the show itself. Just having Ed missing is not a good sign. Real life customs will of course vary from the anime! Though the sound tracks seems on point as the original creator was involved. The trailers visually looked the part of bebop. Has this released already on NetFlix?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
I would have to see more than just the trailer to be able to comment on the show itself. Just having Ed missing is not a good sign. Real life customs will of course vary from the anime! Though the sound tracks seems on point as the original creator was involved. The trailers visually looked the part of bebop. Has this released already on NetFlix?

It debuts tomorrow, 11/18/2021.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
This is getting interesting:

Pineda posted a now-deleted video on social media, which thanks to the internet has been saved, where she criticizes fans who don't like the look of Faye Valentine.

Quote:
"Hey, guys! So as you know our Cowboy Bebop first look dropped today, which was so exciting, and I just wanted to address a couple of things that sort of keep coming up in the comments amongst fans," she said. "First, I wanted to apologize to the fans that I did not anatomically match the Faye Valentine character - six-foot double-d sized breasts two-inch waist - you know they looked everywhere for that woman and they couldn't find her. It's kind of weird, so they just went with my short ass. I know. Am I right."

Daniella Pineda continued with mention of the costume.

"You know there was talk about like, 'Can we put Daniella in a time machine and maybe give her different parents, so she has different genetic information to sort of make her look better?' It proved to be too complicated, and the other thing that I wanted to bring up was, I wanted to apologize that the outfit I'm wearing [rolls eyes] is not exactly what she wears in the anime," she explained. "You know we tried but doing stunts in tissue paper, things disappear, they rip, sometimes just got lost... Anyway like I was saying, that original costume, they made a couple of them, but like I said, they got sort of slurped up in my various crevices never to be retrieved again so we needed to really build something that could withstand the test of time, so just you know..."

AntiKuro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:

Ed isn't missing. They posted a small video of them yesterday, or the day before and made a comment about people missing them
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Catseyetiger wrote:

Ed isn't missing. They posted a small video of them yesterday, or the day before and made a comment about people missing them

Unfortunately Ed isn't missing.
....Or if you're like me that nightmare fuel wasn't Ed. It was a bad Carrot Top cosplay in a show pretending to be Cowboy Bebop.
timber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:59 am Reply with quote
Started watching and spotted Yoko Kanno playing a keyboard in episode 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1