• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Confirms Firing of PlayStation VP George Cacioppo After Video Posted Accusing Him of Pedo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
Good.

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote
You need to leave this kind of work to the professionals. These Youtubers are amateurs.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, a gaming company getting rid of have a horrible person from power. TAKE NOTES ACTIVISION BLIZZARD.
Antipathy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
Looks like that same group caught another person in tech yesterday.

https://twitter.com/BanishedJourno/status/1468449666811396103

This time it was Senior Account Manager for nvidia Todd Wiseman.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Six or so years ago the video gaming industry had dealt with a wave of angry gamer gaters. Back then, anyone supposedly too "woke" for them got assaulted with death threats against them and their families. Sadly in some cases, people got fired over the harassment even if they themselves were the target of the harassment.

Who is to say any of this is legit? Sony wouldn't be the first company to fire people over an abundance of caution rather than sticking by their employees until the police have done an investigation.

I have concerns when its done by private citizens who act outside of the confines of the law. Who is to say that the evidence they provide is legit, that its not fudged to make it look worse than it does, etc. etc.

I'd rather the police bust these people, that way it removes most reasonable doubt that it was done improperly.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I kinda agree, to be honest. When it comes to these things and the court of public opinion, "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't really exist so there is a lot of power in fake accusations and you never really know what's going on behind the scenes either. Who knows how many times these kinds of vigilante groups try to look for profit and use fake (or even real, doesn't make it any better) evidence to blackmail people or something. It's all just kinda iffy.

Plus, people who don't know what they're doing getting involved in investigations can sometimes have the complete opposite effect they are looking for too, maybe because they sabotage actual official investigations or because they end up breaking the law in some way too which can lead to some legal loopholes criminals can jump through.

That being said, if this is the only way people get busted, that's pretty terrible as well and means if groups like this don't do anything, the police won't either. Which is why I guess I'm kinda of two minds about this whole thing.

I suppose the way I would prefer these things to go (but I doubt many people would do it that way) would be for groups like this to do their thing but then give what they found to law enforcement and directly work with them without making their findings public until the case is completely done and over with (or officials give them the go-ahead, I suppose).
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
I suppose the way I would prefer these things to go (but I doubt many people would do it that way) would be for groups like this to do their thing but then give what they found to law enforcement and directly work with them without making their findings public until the case is completely done and over with (or officials give them the go-ahead, I suppose).

The article does say they did first try to hand the information over to the DA and only released it once it was clear the DA wasn't acting on it.

Personally, I think this is partly shady as hell. Simply getting accused of something like this can really fudge someone over. Even if retractions get posted later, those never get the visibility that headlines like this article get. On the other hand, I feel like adults who do go after underage kids should get fucked over, and if the channel is to be believed the guy would have gotten away with it. I guess in the end, as long as Youtube is willing to identify the channel owner when someone disputes this and wants to sue for defamation, I'd say let it run its course.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Caught with your pants down...with minors.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
The article does say they did first try to hand the information over to the DA and only released it once it was clear the DA wasn't acting on it.
If these articles are an accurate summary of the information available to the DA, I'm not surprised they didn't act on it, because it certainly wouldn't be enough to actually prosecute a person, especially one who will have access to good legal defense resources. I certainly hope Sony had something more concrete (maybe they talked to him and he admitted it?), because there's not a lot here if you don't have blind faith in the credibility of anonymous internet detectives.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
You need to leave this kind of work to the professionals. These Youtubers are amateurs.

i mean these "professionals" you speak of aren't exactly 100% trustworthy.

its widely known authorities are corrupt and take bribes.

Just be glad these people wait to give proper authorities tiem to act and release it when they ignore it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Good. He should be fired, at the very least. In a related bit of news it's also nice to see IGN getting egg on their face for not covering this at first.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
If these articles are an accurate summary of the information available to the DA, I'm not surprised they didn't act on it, because it certainly wouldn't be enough to actually prosecute a person, especially one who will have access to good legal defense resources. I certainly hope Sony had something more concrete (maybe they talked to him and he admitted it?), because there's not a lot here if you don't have blind faith in the credibility of anonymous internet detectives.

They supposedly have conversation records that led up to the meet up iirc. However, I do share your lack of faith in the credibility of someone who most likely is monetizing their channel thus has a financial incentive to find people to catch.

I don't know if Sony needs cause to fire him. I would assume California is on the better side as far as worker protection since it is a blue state? They might have just decided it was better to be sued by the guy than take all the negative press from letting him continue to work there.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I can clearly tell that he's guilty based on all of the evidence and corroborated testimony that has been presented here in this forum. Why waste the time and money on a trial when we here already know the truth of the matter? Now all that's left is a suitably severe sentence.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
They supposedly have conversation records that led up to the meet up iirc. However, I do share your lack of faith in the credibility of someone who most likely is monetizing their channel thus has a financial incentive to find people to catch.

I don't know if Sony needs cause to fire him. I would assume California is on the better side as far as worker protection since it is a blue state? They might have just decided it was better to be sued by the guy than take all the negative press from letting him continue to work there.

You wouldn't need cause to fire someone in general. Firing with or without cause affects some of the consequences and costs of that firing (for a person of his level, mostly bonuses, I would assume), but firing without cause is almost never prohibited. There are some reasons (which is different than the term "with cause") that are illegal, but "makes us look bad because he was accused of being a pedophile" is not one of them.

I guess I don't consider digital conversation records from an anonymous internet collective to be super compelling. But I didn't look them up, maybe there's something to give them credibility.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:

You wouldn't need cause to fire someone in general. Firing with or without cause affects some of the consequences and costs of that firing (for a person of his level, mostly bonuses, I would assume), but firing without cause is almost never prohibited. There are some reasons (which is different than the term "with cause") that are illegal, but "makes us look bad because he was accused of being a pedophile" is not one of them.

I guess I don't consider digital conversation records from an anonymous internet collective to be super compelling. But I didn't look them up, maybe there's something to give them credibility.

Sony has had several sexual harassment scandals within the span of maybe 10 years. There was the stolen emails from Sony Pictures, there have been top execs accused of sexual harassment, there have even been acquisitions where top people in the acquired companies for years had ignored legit sexual harassment complaints(Funimation acquisition is one of them). On top of that, Activision-Blizzard and Ubisoft both had huge windfalls when it came to sexual harassment in the workplace.

There could be a hundred reasons that Sony will not disclose for why they fired this guy in particular. But they didn't need more than one, which is, being overly cautious just in case the accusations are true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2