• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Saiyuki Reload -ZEROIN- Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting, I would have thought Funi would get it since they licensed Blast. Hopefully the cast will be the same.
Farafra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
That's interesting, I would have thought Funi would get it since they licensed Blast. Hopefully the cast will be the same.

It probably will, but considering Saiyuki's history when it comes to stateside licensing, I personally would find it hilarious if this season got another new cast.
SakuraShimizu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Yess!! So excited! This means they'll probably use the original cast. I really hope that they cast Gojyo's original voice actor!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm always down for more Saiyuki good ness.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:01 pm Reply with quote
SakuraShimizu wrote:
Yess!! So excited! This means they'll probably use the original cast. I really hope that they cast Gojyo's original voice actor!

Gojyo's original dub actor had already been recast back with Saiyuki Reload Blast, because Illich Guardiola was found to be in a sexual relationship with a 16-year old girl back in 2014, who he then married so as to avoid any real punishment... only to then be charged with sexual assault a month later. Guardiola hasn't appeared in any anime dubs ever since then. Yeah, I don't think Sentai will be hiring him back.

At least Hakkai's original dub actor, Braden Hunt, simply retired from voice acting, though he did return to voice Tenpou (Hakkai's seeming prior incarnation) for Saiyuki Gaiden in 2013. I doubt Hunt would be up for doing an entire TV series again, though maybe he'll return for the bonus Gaiden OVA Sentai also just licensed.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
SakuraShimizu wrote:

Gojyo's original dub actor had already been recast back with Saiyuki Reload Blast, because Illich Guardiola was found to be in a sexual relationship with a 16-year old girl back in 2014, who he then married so as to avoid any real punishment... only to then be charged with sexual assault a month later. Guardiola hasn't appeared in any anime dubs ever since then. Yeah, I don't think Sentai will be hiring him back.

At least Hakkai's original dub actor, Braden Hunt, simply retired from voice acting, though he did return to voice Tenpou (Hakkai's seeming prior incarnation) for Saiyuki Gaiden in 2013. I doubt Hunt would be up for doing an entire TV series again, though maybe he'll return for the bonus Gaiden OVA Sentai also just licensed.

That's a ton of assumptions on your part the reality is Braden returned once for the role he may return again its entirely up to the ADR Director and if Sentai actually decides to give the show a dub down the road.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
You mean Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll licensed it, while FUNimation just simply distributed on their behalf. Note the Crunchyroll logo, anytime you see it, it means they have the license and the other company is just the distributor.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91uaIWjLlGL.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81986iL-ghL.jpg

Anyway, bit of a surprise to see this end up in Sentai's hands and not Crunchyroll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:
You mean Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll licensed it, while FUNimation just simply distributed on their behalf.

Ah I see, when I took a quick look at the encyclopedia page I just saw "Distributor: FUNimation Entertainment" and Internet Streaming and assumed they had the whole license.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
iamthevastuniverse wrote:
That's a ton of assumptions on your part the reality is Braden returned once for the role he may return again its entirely up to the ADR Director and if Sentai actually decides to give the show a dub down the road.

I don't think I made any real assumptions, outside of saying that Hunt could MAYBE be up for being part of literally dubbing just a single episode of content, since he was a part of the main product it's related to. Don't know how that amounts to a "ton", but whatever.

If anything, you're the one making a giant assumption that Sentai won't bother to dub a Saiyuki anime, a franchise that has never been released in North America without a dub of some sort.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
I admit I'm surprised that Sentai have got it but I won't mind as long as we get the dub. I thought the actors in the Blast anime did a fairly good job, especially Micah Solusod as Hakkai. Took some getting used to Ian Sinclair as Gojyo at first but in the end I was happy with it.

I think Braden is busy with his theatre career and I doubt he'll return just for this but who knows, I'd be delighted if he did come back. As for Ilich then no, I loved his voice for the character but I doubt they'll risk it and he hasn't done any voice work since all the outcry over what happened. Can you just imagine all the moaning and backlash if they did approach him for the role? Best to let sleeping dogs lie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1