• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Halo Legends Still Legendary?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually watched this a couple weeks ago at the request of my roommate who's a huge Halo fan. As someone who's never even looked at a Halo game I really enjoyed most of the segments, only ones I didn't really enjoy were The Package (the CGI really didn't age well to me) and Odd One Out (didn't find it funny).

Though it really helped having my roommate there to explain more parts of the lore that were glossed over.
Dovah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I remember picking this up on DVD back when it came out. When I first watched it I remember finding "Origins" boring, and not liking Odd One Out because of the liberties it took with the lore. I really liked "The Package" because of the opportunity to see more Spartans in action, which up until that point was nonexistent outside of books. Upon re-watching them recently some of the opinions have really shifted.

I appreciate the less action oriented ones like "Origins" a lot more now that I'm older, and I like the tonal change up that "Odd One Out" introduces into the mix. Halo can be such a depressing and dreary franchise, and so something lighthearted is a welcome addition.

"Prototype" was and still is my favorite of the bunch for many of same reasons Michael likes it, and it becomes even more depressing if you understand the fates of the people and ships it references at the end. Just one more punch to the gut for good measure. All but the most obvious messages in it and "Homecoming" were lost on me when I was younger, but I appreciate them a lot more now.

I don't like "The Package" or "The Duel" as much anymore. Mostly because of the animation not aging too well in either. "The Duel" is especially hard to watch since at times it almost becomes incomprehensible to decipher what you're actually looking at in a shot.

Overall I still like it, and I wish there was more it.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:16 am Reply with quote
Fun fact: Odd One Out is the only episode in this anthology that is non-canon. Every other episode is canon, artistic liberties not withstanding. Also, the female Elite, Han, was stated to have the ability to split her jaw like the males. While the choice to have her keep them closed in a traditional mouth was artistic to make her look more human, she can open them. Elites apparently have that amount of flexibility with their jaw movements. Also, Babysitter features one familiar face: Dutch from ODST.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:07 am Reply with quote
There's also the upcoming Halo TV series, though it's own Silver Timeline

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1