• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soundtracks only available via proxy, not direct shipping from Japanese retailers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
There have been a few cases of anime soundtracks only available via proxy services, not via direct retailers e.g. Yuri!!! on ICE, see https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term.media_format=cdnomaxi&f=major&q=Yuri+on+ice&f=major&q=&f=major&q=&order=scoreboost_cdj&range.rel=&range.sale_price=&term.caption=&term.audio_language= (Shipping within Japan only) and more recently DEEMO Memorial Keys which comes up at https://www.neowing.co.jp/product/PCCG-2124 but not on the CD-Japan site https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PCCG-2124

I've asked CD-Japan about this but wonder if there have been any other recent examples and why this is still happening.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't realize Neowing/CD Japan had items that weren't available on both sites. It's probably not a restriction from the distributor, though. The CD you mentioned appears to be readily available for shipping (to the United States, at least) from Amazon Japan.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:33 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Huh, I didn't realize Neowing/CD Japan had items that weren't available on both sites. It's probably not a restriction from the distributor, though. The CD you mentioned appears to be readily available for shipping (to the United States, at least) from Amazon Japan.

Interesting. I ordered the DEEMO OST from Amazon Japan with shipment to someone in Japan who will ship it to me in Australia. I re-checked the DEEMO OST with shipping to Australia on amazon.co.jp and received the "unable to deliver to this address" message.

PS, CD-Japan informed me:

CD Japan wrote:
The manufacturer does not allow to sell to overseas.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, perhaps Jeff Bezos's Japanese counterpart isn't following all of the rules.

In any case, I've had success using a proxy service to get CDs from Yahoo Auctions, Disk Union, Amazon Japan third party sellers, and other stores that don't ship internationally. They will charge a fee for the service but it's not so bad per unit if you buy, uh, 20 or so CDs all at once or something. Of course, you should also verify that the service will ship to Australia.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:43 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
In any case, I've had success using a proxy service to get CDs from Yahoo Auctions, Disk Union, Amazon Japan third party sellers, and other stores that don't ship internationally.

Thanks, I've used fromjapan.co.jp as a proxy service a fair bit, but since March 2020 when EMS and most airmail from Japan to Australia ceased, only used them to ship to the place in Japan that receives the mailings from the Japanese artist fan clubs that I'm in, who then combine items every few months for shipment to me via Kuroneko Yamato / UPS to Australia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1