• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spy × Family (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote

Season 01 (1st half): Spy × Family (TV)
Season 01 (2nd half): Spy × Family (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
Season 02: Spy × Family (TV 3)
Movie: Spy × Family Code: White (movie)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 11 volumes, by Tatsuya Endo)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Wit Studio, CloverWorks

Genres: action, comedy, drama, slice of life

Theme: assassins, childcare, family, factions, school, spies, superpowers, vignettes

Plot Summary: Agent Twilight, the greatest spy for the nation of Westalis, has to infiltrate an elite private school. In order to do so he assumes the identity of psychiatrist Loid Forger, adopts an orphan girl, and marries a city hall employee. Unknown to him, his daughter Anya is a telepath and his wife Yor is an assassin. The three learn to become a family while working to complete Twilight's missions and maintain world peace.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01
1st half: April 9, 2022 (Saturday), 2nd half: October 1, 2022 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02
October 7, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Movie
December 22, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Pending

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 25 episodes
Season 02: 12 episodes
Movie: Pending

Total: 37 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to Tony K.'s post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

(Note: The arc names are fan-made, but will hopefully help break the series down for easier time management or binge-watching)

- Season 01

(Introduction)
Episode 01: Operation Strix
Episode 02: Secure a Wife

(Admissions Interview)
Episode 03: Prepare for the Interview
Episode 04: The Prestigious School's Interview
Episode 05: Will They Pass or Fail

(Eden Beginnings)
Episode 06: The Friendship Scheme
Episode 07: The Target's Second Son

(Secret Police)
Episode 08: The Counter-Secret Police Cover Operation
Episode 09: Show Off How in Love You Are

(Stella Star)
Episode 10: The Great Dodgeball Plan
Episode 11: Stella
Episode 12: Penguin Park

(Doggy Crisis)
Episode 13: Project Apple
Episode 14: Disarm the Time Bomb
Episode 15: A New Family Member

(Midterm Exams)
Episode 16: Yor's Kitchen; The Informant's Great Romance Plan
Episode 17: Fullmetal Lady; Omelet Rice
Episode 18: Uncle the Private Tutor; Daybreak
Episode 19: A Revenge Plot Against Desmond; Mama Becomes the Wind

(Campbelldon Tennis)
Episode 20: Investigate the General Hospital; Decipher the Perplexing Code
Episode 21: Nightfall; First Fit of Jealousy
Episode 22: The Underground Tennis Tournament: The Cambelldon
Episode 23: The Unwavering Path

(Imperial Scholars Mixer)
Episode 24: The Role of a Mother and Wife; Shopping with Friends
Episode 25: First Contact

OP1 (w/ Lyrics): "Mixed Nuts" by Official Hige Dandism
ED1 (w/ Lyrics): "Comedy" by Gen Hoshino

OP2 (w/ Lyrics): "Souvenir" by Bump of Chicken
ED2 (w/ Lyrics): "Color" by Yama

-Season 02

Episode 26 (S02E01): Follow Mama and Papa
Episode 27 (S02E02): Bond's Strategy to Stay Alive; Damian's Field Research Trip
Episode 28 (S02E03):
Episode 29 (S02E04):

Episode 30 (S02E05):
Episode 31 (S02E06):
Episode 32 (S02E07):
Episode 33 (S02E08):

Episode 34 (S02E09):
Episode 35 (S02E10):
Episode 36 (S02E11):
Episode 37 (S02E12):

OP3: Pending
ED3: Pending

- (Movie) Spy × Family Code: White

Pending
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This was a great episode as it introduced Anya, one of the most curious characters I'm interested to see more of this season. Her fascination about spies is unusual for a kid of her age but that's what makes the character special.

We also saw introduction of Loid and sees firsthand of his tactical mind when saving Anya after she got kidnapped. Personally, I think it's a great way for the show to get warmed up with its main premise. One of the main characters isn't introduced yet but they'll definitely show her soon.

Animation looks great by CloverWorks and looks exactly as I expected them to translate into anime form.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:37 pm Reply with quote

One of the most-hyped offerings for this season, and so far it's living up to it. A very unusual premise as the "family" is made up of the most unusual personages one could possibly think of, and we're only 2/3rds of the way in to the main cast.

Tasogare (Dusk) is effectively the caricature of the perfect spy, although he very much prefers to staying in the shadows rather than pulling a James Bond. He's not afraid to fight if he has to, but isn't keen on spilling blood unless it's his mission. This is not a mission he would have signed up for, but like all good spies he won't refuse direct orders. He's done a good job so far jumping through the hoops, but next week's one will introduce the "mother" who has already been previewed elsewhere to be a unique character in her own right.

Anya, aka project 007, may be just six years and undernourished, but her psychic abilities are top-notch. Although she's still a kid and immature, if she keeps her ability a secret AND learns to use it for the benefit of her "father", she will keep the family she has always wanted to have. But turkeys do not vote for Christmas and Anya will eventually have to reveal her secret if she wants to stay permanently as a strategic asset, since Tasogare works best alone and won't build emotional ties (although he already has subconsciously albeit at a shallow level). Good thing they case a top-notch VA (Tanezaki Atsumi) for her role as well, she's bringing this key personage to life.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:46 pm Reply with quote
1:

The standout show of the season.

Wit and Cloverworks are two outstanding and exciting studios, so to see both their names on a show would natural grab attention. Couple that with a manga that has been garnering a lot of rave reviews, and a show that's been hyped so much before its debut. What do you get? A winner.

This show has everything I want in a spy thriller: slick action, pacey storytelling and even some witty humor on the side! The action sequences are almost perfect what stands out more is how the pace never lets up; the story develops at breakneck speed from the get-go and I LOVE IT. Even better is the humor that is uniquely dry (for most parts). I don't get to see that very often in anime tbh.

I can tell why this show is so hyped; it's proving its worth already and I'm already hooked. I'll definitely stick around. And Anya's utterly adorable.
poltroon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:08 am Reply with quote
What is the right way to interpret the "x" in the name here?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:27 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
What is the right way to interpret the "x" in the name here?

I think it means 'crossed with', like a mix of two different or not very compatible things. I'm not taking it to mean against or versus each other, like in a boxing match. Just my guess.

And I don't know how to pronounce it. Sad
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
The "x" isn't pronounced at all going by how the title in katakana doesn't have the "x" in it. Judging by that, the "x" seems to just be a stylistic choice for the English title.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
^Got it. I keep forgetting the "cool" factor and how it plays in promoting all this stuff.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the "x" is silent and purely stylistic like: Gun x Sword, Hunter x Hunter, or xxxHolic, to name a few other titles that do that.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:27 pm Reply with quote

The OP animation reminds me of a very old animated series made by Canadian/French animators. English name was Night Hood, but it was really stylish and the vibe from that period stands out really clearly in the colours and style used in the animation.

If Loid Forger is Ethan Hunt but with one too many careless mistakes since he took on his mission, Yor Briar is Black Widow but socially inept and without the multi-faceted talents the Marvel personality has. As it stands, Yor has not really caught on to Loid's true identity because she was trained purely in assassination and with zero training in social adaptation and common sense. Loid on the other hand has not caught on to Yor's "massage occupation" at all, so her cover must be extremely thorough. For all we know, both sides might be employed by the two opposing political entities, which will seriously complicate matters down the line.

The only person who knows the two "parents" really are is the "daughter" with the psychic abilities. However she's just six and is treating the whole charade as the biggest show ever which she's an active participant in. She's done her part in getting the two of them to come together, but she'll have to work harder if she wants the show she's part of to last for as long as she possibly can.

Action-wise, it's a mixed bag as viewers see what both Loid and Yor are capable of. Loid's scenes with the smuggling ring didn't look as good as the close-up shots featuring Yor and Loid's later run-in with the gang survivors though.

I, for one, am sold and want to see this through to the end. This "family" lasts only as long as Loid's mission, so if Anya wants it to continue she'll have to contrive some way to keep the family together AND convince Loid that it's in his interests to keep the charade for occupational benefits. For both parents, the mental strain of keeping up the elaborate deception without blowing their covers is going to make for considerable entertainment.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
2:

DAT OP THO.

Although pretty clear from the onset, I can confirm for sure that we are in a fictitious Cold War era. Not just because of the prevalence of espionage and government suspicion of enemy infiltration, but also the societal expectations of women when it comes to age and marriage. I just personally wanted some confirmation on what kind of timeline we're seeing here.

I'm just wondering: are Twilight and Thorn Princess going to accomplish their mission without ever knowing each other's story? I'm loving every bit of the hijinks and dry humor, but I wonder how the plot will develop from here. Anya clearly is the glue that binds them together, and heck, I'm not even sure if they will ever learn that she's telepathic (side comment: her precociousness makes sense, especially when she learns how to talk by listening to adults' thoughts).

That climactic scene of Twilight using a grenade pin as a makeshift ring to Thorn Princess? Perfect. I can't think of any other way to make it better. Pure ingenious.

Side note: it's interesting to see Hayami Saori sounding so much like Noto Mamiko because of the iconic "whispery" voice. It's as though she's taken on the mantle for roles requiring that kind of voice.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:01 pm Reply with quote
3:

The show's dry humor is gold. And Anya's daily "What horrible truths am I learning today?".

I'm feeling a little sus about Yor's brother. The show portrays him simply as Yor's normal brother, yet it's very coy about revealing anything about him, be it what he does or what he looks like. Why? Why bother introducing him to the plot when he's just a minor footnote (unless he's not a minor footnote)? Is he going to be a major plot twist to the show, or am I just reading too much into this? We will find out.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:17 am Reply with quote

After the big bang of the first two episodes, this episode is more low-key. That's not to say it's not entertaining, since the interplay between the three members of this pretend family is fun to watch as it's continually evolving.

Ibarahime doesn't just have a penchant for killing, it's clear one of her occupational hazards is enjoying her work a little too much. For her to give that series of answers from those two words in the question would raise red flags for most people, but Tasogare's weakness is his lack of interaction with others so he doesn't react to this as normal people would. He didn't pick up on her fascination with the guillotine painting either. Still, Ibarahime is not a two-dimensional single-minded killer, she has her own sense of right and wrong and will proactively pursue those who flout it in plain sight.

Anya (She spells it as Ania for her door, a mistake?) has limits to her power; if she uses it in a big crowd the mental strain on a six-year old is too much to bear and her physical condition worsens. However, it's good to see her use it if she can to help her adoptive parents achieve their goals. I'm not sure if that was her intent when she pointed to the restaurant, but if she did then mind-reading to cheat her way through difficult situations is not her only strong suit.

As before, the "father" is under the greatest strain of all. He's not used to this situation but has to go through with it anyway because he only knows success. There's an unexpected side to him as well: he does appreciate being complimented for a job well done even if it goes against his modus operandi of complete concealment and discretion. Too bad he's missing that element of common sense that would immediately flag up Ibarahime as not a regular civilian, but if he does catch on to it the story would end very quickly and that would be no fun after making it this far.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:30 pm Reply with quote
okay , when i read about the grenade pin scene it sounded way over the top , sed

oh

well ,
anyway .
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote

It looks like the pacing has slowed down. Anya's entrance to Eden College looks like it'll take at least another week at least. If she fails, there's no further story since the family disbands, but how she succeeds given the odds stacked against the Forgers remains to be seen.

Tasogare's background as a professional spy means he is more prepared than any other parent who walks through the college grounds. Unfortunately he's TOO well prepared, so much so that anyone else looking from the outside would suspect something is not quite right. One of the teachers actually voiced out what we in the viewers already know, but luckily for the Forgers no one is following through on the train of thought (yet).

Ibarahime isn't just a lethal assassin, it appears veterinary science was part of her training. I'm not sure what the purpose of teaching assassins the pressure points of berserk bovines was, but it certainly won the Forgers credit with the elegance-obsessed housemaster.

I lost count of how many times I laughed during the interview phase. It does show that Anya without her special ability is a love-starved child who will do anything to keep her pretend family together for as long as possible despite her own shortcomings. Book intelligence is clearly not her strong suit, since her test results were surprisingly low despite Tasogare's thorough training and her ability to remember fragments of it. Her strange manner of speech when she's nervous (good job Hayami Saori by the way) is also amusing, but her spontaneous line about giving her (pretend) parents full marks struck a chord with them.

Although Tasogare just about kept it together when he was about to strike the obnoxious housemaster, walking off in a huff didn't help his mission's cause. It remains to be seen if the History Master has enough clout to overrule the former Principal's son and convince the appraisal board of Anya's suitability.

The picture falling off at the end could be construed as an omen, but it's already clear that the pretend family is starting to form very real bonds with each other. Tasogare has already been affected since episode one, but Ibarahime is starting to form an attachment with Anya which is more substantial than the cover of a foster mother. If she falls for Tasogare romantically, it'll really make the family cover much more convincing (even during the interview she still calls her husband with a san suffix, which is incredibly unnatural).

While the board is deliberating Anya's merits, what will the Forgers do in their downtime? Tasogare looks like he's doing his side job of extra missions, while I'm curious if Ibarahime is given another "customer" to take of and has to pull it off without raising the suspicion of her fellow occupants.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11