• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: hololive Virtual YouTuber Usada Pekora Goes On Hiatus Due to Vocal Cord Issues

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Damn thats a sign of overuse and abuse (In terms of staining your cords). And generally means that the person in question has to moderate the strain on the vocal cords less they risk worse damage that could be permanent. Meaning if she stays so constantly boisterous it could end her voice acting career.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:35 pm Reply with quote
It's similar to what afflicted Suisei (which caused her to change her voice to a more mature and kinda sexy tone). There's also a running theme of Hololive Vtubers nearly destroying their vocal cords, it's very concerning.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:15 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's similar to what afflicted Suisei (which caused her to change her voice to a more mature and kinda sexy tone). There's also a running theme of Hololive Vtubers nearly destroying their vocal cords, it's very concerning.

Yup. IIRC Marine and Subaru also ran into issues, and I feel like I'm forgetting someone else as well.

It is a bit concerning as it seems like this isn't as much of a problem in other vtuber agencies (at least not as far as I'm aware), so it makes me wonder what the deal is with hololive. On the one hand, there's the possibility that the company pushes the talents to specifically not speak with their normal voice during streams, which would be very bad imo, regardless of whether they have a half-decent justification for it (e.g. as a measure to help conceal IRL identity). It's also possible that their hiring standards may end up with a disproportionate number of talents who tend to strain their voices, which is also bad, but imo probably not as bad as the company specifically pushing the talents to push their voices. And even further, it's also possible that it's something of just a common occupational hazard for this line of work and hololive only seems to have so many issues due to essentially random (however unfortunate) chance.

Whatever the case, I hope that cover corp gets more proactive in making sure that all of their talents get some voice training and some coaching to try and prevent these issues from happening in the future.
Flü

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
[quote="Ryujin99"]
Hoppy800 wrote:
It is a bit concerning as it seems like this isn't as much of a problem in other vtuber agencies (at least not as far as I'm aware), so it makes me wonder what the deal is with hololive. On the one hand, there's the possibility that the company pushes the talents to specifically not speak with their normal voice during streams, which would be very bad imo, regardless of whether they have a half-decent justification for it (e.g. as a measure to help conceal IRL identity). It's also possible that their hiring standards may end up with a disproportionate number of talents who tend to strain their voices, which is also bad, but imo probably not as bad as the company specifically pushing the talents to push their voices. And even further, it's also possible that it's something of just a common occupational hazard for this line of work and hololive only seems to have so many issues due to essentially random (however unfortunate) chance.

Whatever the case, I hope that cover corp gets more proactive in making sure that all of their talents get some voice training and some coaching to try and prevent these issues from happening in the future.

Not really true, it also happened quite a few times in Nijisanji and even smaller companies and indies. You just don't hear much about it in the West, because those talents are barely known here.
Even within Hololive it only happened to 4-5 people of like 50+ over the course of several years, so it's not like a massive endemic and more a sadly somewhat typical job risk, especially when some talent try to go for a certain voice as part of their character gimmick.
There's thankfully also a trend to move away from that too and encourage using the natural voice recently which is both healthier AND tends to get positive responses from fans, so it's honestly a win-win.

As for vocal training, I'd be surprised if any other big VTuber-company puts as much focus on that as Cover does, considering they're all about curating successful talent compared to the more "throw a new bunch into the wild, see what sticks"-approach of Niji. Plus vocal training gets mentioned pretty often during streams.
FormX

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Flü wrote:

Not really true, it also happened quite a few times in Nijisanji and even smaller companies and indies. You just don't hear much about it in the West, because those talents are barely known here.
Even within Hololive it only happened to 4-5 people of like 50+ over the course of several years, so it's not like a massive endemic and more a sadly somewhat typical job risk, especially when some talent try to go for a certain voice as part of their character gimmick.
There's thankfully also a trend to move away from that too and encourage using the natural voice recently which is both healthier AND tends to get positive responses from fans, so it's honestly a win-win.

As for vocal training, I'd be surprised if any other big VTuber-company puts as much focus on that as Cover does, considering they're all about curating successful talent compared to the more "throw a new bunch into the wild, see what sticks"-approach of Niji. Plus vocal training gets mentioned pretty often during streams.

Definitely more than 4, not mentioned in this thread were Aqua, Aki, Lamy and Roboco at the least. Others have taken shorter day breaks or only mentioned them in passing on Twitter.

As for your comment on Nijisanji, they have a literal school for hopeful talents at the pre audition stage that includes vocal coaches.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1