• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, May 9-15 [2022-05-20]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
To absolutely nobody's surprise, Nintendo keeps dominating the charts.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
This week's ranking is kind of interesting considering is the first time in 12 years that Xbox outsold PlayStation. This generated a bit of talk in certain forums but I don't think is that impressive, the chip shortage is still afecting the production of PS5 and Sony probably sent more units for Golden Week, while the Xbox Series has been selling more units than the Xbox One it's still a niche console in Japan, not to mention that Nintendo still dominates the Japanese market by a wide margin.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
This week's ranking is kind of interesting considering is the first time in 12 years that Xbox outsold PlayStation. This generated a bit of talk in certain forums but I don't think is that impressive, the chip shortage is still afecting the production of PS5 and Sony probably sent more units for Golden Week, while the Xbox Series has been selling more units than the Xbox One it's still a niche console in Japan, not to mention that Nintendo still dominates the Japanese market by a wide margin.

It's basically like when a book, movie or show brags about it being the most popular show in a specific timeslot for a specific demographic on a specific day for a specific year. The more quantifiers you throw onto it, the less impressive it actually is. It is true for that week Xbox did outsell Playstation, but the total lifetime sales of both their current consoles are heavily skewed in Sony's favor. It's a non-story.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:15 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

Definitely the chip shortage. But it goes all ways globally - since all 3 are supply-constrained right now:

When the Series X|S outsells the PS5, it's the chip shortage since MS happens to produce more Series chips that period

When the PS5 outsells the Series X|S, it's also the chip shortage because Sony happens to produce more PS5 chips that period

And of course, Nintendo is able to outsell both since the Switch is a lot easier to produce, but that's an advantage (similar to the easier-to-produce Series S as a way around the chip shortage)

Right now, since it's all about the supply, it's whoever manages to produce more chips that period
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1