• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Veteran Voice Actress Yuko Goto Speaks About Her History With Illness

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad she found some comfort, and it's good to hear that she's coming back to the business in a way that she's comfortable with.

Goto has a wonderful, distinctive voice. She was memorable not only as Mikuru in The melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, but also as Hiro in the many seasons of Hidamari Sketch.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I've always wondered why patients of terminal illnesses can be such good and kind people. I absolutely could not be that way. Whenever I grumbled or complained, people would always comfort me. The more they did that, the more I came to think that I didn't deserve to be indulged this much," Goto remarked. "It was around then that I encountered the Soapland ladies, who would always complain about their illnesses with foul language, the same way I did. Some of them had severe conditions, and it was like we were all commiserating together. But for me, it was the first time I felt at ease. Those ladies saved me."

This very much fits with what I remember reading about Goto's personality back in the day.

Glad she's doing better.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad she found comfort with the Soapland ladies. They sound like great people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I was diagnosed with ITP in 3rd grade. Spots and bruising when I didn't even bump into anything. In simple terms it's when the white blood cells attack the platelets and the ability to clot any cuts is severely decreased. Thankfully I was treated with a steroid regimen and got better. It was scary knowing any bruising could be life threatening.

Its great to see she's slowly returning to voice acting and she found solace in those women as odd as it may seem. Sometimes just having that one person to listen to is all it takes.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm so sorry to hear of what she's been through, but I'm glad she's slowly returning back to work and has had people who were there for her.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:05 am Reply with quote
Dunno how her dad would had reacted if he knew his middle-school daughter was hanging out with soapland ladies Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1