• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Isekai Life (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:08 am Reply with quote

My Isekai Life (TV)

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy
Theme: isekai

Plot Summary: Yūji Sano works at a company that is harsh on its employees. After bringing some overtime work back home, he gets a message on his computer: "You have been summoned to an alternate world." It is a game-like world, complete with status bars and skills. Yūji tames a slime monster and thus becomes a tamer. Then, he suddenly attains a second profession — sage — and awakens magical powers within himself. Yūji's alternate world adventure begins when he follows a slime, that seemingly weakest of all monsters.

July 4, 2022 (Mondays; HIDIVE)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:16 pm Reply with quote
EPISODE ... 5? There have been 5 of these?

Okay, so, there are definitely way more cliche shows, but WOW is this boring.

MC is as bland as can be. He's supposed to be damaged and detached by his mistreatment in his previous black company employee life but sympathy for him is non-existence- he's just this boring emotionless void.
Until Episode 5... when he suddenly goes all Restaurant In Another World customer in his appreciation for food.
Which is supposed to be funny, but lands with a dull thud because it comes out of nowhere.

And of course, there are zero stakes. As a solo character without human companions he doesn't even let anyone else get token victories in his place. he does everything by himself, has an infinite list of spells that take basically zero effort. In this way, he may be the most needlessly, stupid over-powered character in any show. Not that anything he does feels deserved.

I thought when he mentioned that he was running out of MP fighting the continent-destroying dragon all by himself that they might be introducing a limit... but no, still shows off endless power. Sure, he also had to get a magic McGuffin in that case... that he's just given...but still: Boom Boom Stab Stab, I win.

Maybe, just maybe, it'd be better if his slimes and unexplained wolf had interesting personalities but the slimes are as interchangeable as they are irritating and the wolf is a one-note goofy talking dog type.

The only thing of interest is that I'm still intrigued about WTF the mysterious villains are doing- because their methods are sometimes interesting. These horribly insidious and powerful dragon stone things (that our hero negates instantly) are at least a little different.

At least he's not just battling an endless parade of 'MWA-HA-HA Demons.'
The MC's problem is with humans treating humans badly, so the monsters are just brainless monsters and the power behind all the problems will almost certainly be man-made.
That's is a little different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:51 am Reply with quote
This show is really, really bad but I think it's interesting that show doesn't think it is. Even other isekai shows that are pure power fantasies made sense in how they're power fantasies but this one... I don't know where to begin in describing where they went wrong, go wrong and are still wrong. Here's one:

"Oh no, I ran out of magic points. I'm going to have to cast from health points now." Fair enough but here's the result:
MP: MINUS 100,000
HP 107/130
... was he casting from all the HP of all his summons? It's not clear but none of it's clear.
It needed more defined rules, it needs an actual cast, there has to be actual goals and that's just to bring it up to an average isekai power fantasy.

But I can't hate the show, the ending completely rips off Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

SO, uh... that was it then?

All the sly hints to out-of-place technology... to the novel concept that the problem wasn't really about monsters and damnable bad guys.... but maybe the effects of people acting badly and the final episode ends with.... monsters and a damnable bad guy.

Beaten again by OPness and finally not using the same attack that didn't work the other three dozen ties he yelled the same thing over and over again.

Sure, they left it with the open ended "other bad guys" plot... but damn are they acting optimistic that people will want more of this.

I'm certainly not coming back for more.

Reminding myself of the ratings... which I honestly don't bother with much anymore.... I'd have to give it to the one that perfectly reflects my feelings...
Weak, I wish I had done something better with my time
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:39 am Reply with quote
I kept getting this show confused with the other Isekai anime that had an overpowered edgelord protagonist that was a summoner with black eyes and hair, and had a slime as his main/first monster. Except this one was somehow less interesting than Black Summoner, I think because despite that character being more edgelord, he at least had more personality than Yuji. Yuji feels like a character that someone started to write up, but fell asleep, and then figured not really getting involved with other people is a personality trait. Then realised that he would need to interact with other characters so they stuck a bunch of superficial design traits on the slimes, so they could pretend that there is personality.

I am not saying the entire show was a dud, I can think of some parts that worked okay, like that time he was trying to pretend that he was weaker than he actually was. Which now that I think about it, maybe had him pretend to actually have a personality in coming across as pathetic, but also that the characters we were kind of following were those assassins who showed a lot of skin. Perhaps the show would have been more interesting if we just followed those morally dubious characters?

My rating will be Not really good (4/10), but not really a total waste of time either, which I think that it would actually be unpleasant to watch to go lower, but I guess that at least it was not offensive to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1