• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam Fans Notice New Call of Duty Game Logo Looks a Bit Familiar

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for covering this! As a Gundam fan, when I first saw the logo I thought Amuro. This is insane.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Amuro's Zeta Plus uses a white version so it matches the this and depending on what you see the sizing matches too. This was a total lift no matter what you see.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:11 pm Reply with quote
There are people whose sense of what counts as "tribute" and what counts as "blatant lift" is skewed, and I don't doubt someone thought this was a cute reference.

Whether it's that or just someone using Google thinking no one will notice, it's pretty embarrassing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
There are people whose sense of what counts as "tribute" and what counts as "blatant lift" is skewed, and I don't doubt someone thought this was a cute reference.

Whether it's that or just someone using Google thinking no one will notice, it's pretty embarrassing.

Yeah, I agree. Also, this isn't the first time Call of Duty reference or made an homage to the Gundam franchse. Anybody played Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare? Anybody recalled the story in Infinite Warfare being too similar to Mobile Suit Gundam. A lot of COD fans that are also Gundam fans also took notice of this too. The main villain, SDF (Settlement Defense Point) in the game are very similar to Zeon in couple of ways. Also the SDF attacking Earth on Fleet Week celebration has been compared to a scene from Stardust Memory (I haven't watched the OVA, but a Gundam fan on GameFAQs thread pointed that out).

So maybe this could be an homage given that Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare had a Gundam 0079/One Year War-ish like storyline if you're a Gundam fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope they are sued.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I hope they are sued.

If you’re hoping such a lawsuit will bankrupt ActBlizz I’m afraid I have some bad news.
Tokimemofan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:18 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I hope they are sued.

If you’re hoping such a lawsuit will bankrupt ActBlizz I’m afraid I have some bad news.
Yeah it involves a bridge for sale unfortunately
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was a reference, considering Infinite Warfare was both referenced by behind the scenes and by fans as being heavily influenced by mobile suit gundam.
Lorain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Lol, for some reason I can't really blame ActivBlizz. I came up with a similar symbol about 20 years ago for a throwaway logo project for school.

It was for something called Business Week where we had to run a fake business. Our topic of the year was shoes and our brand was called Arc. The logo was meant to be a stylized "A". Sure it didn't look exactly the same but it had the same vectors.
Zahooee
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:57 am Reply with quote
Brought to you, by the letter "a"...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
TBH, from a practical standpoint, the line between similarities that are acceptable and the type of similarities that is/essentially plagiarism/similar can be blurred.
Strike105

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:02 am Reply with quote
This is pretty blatant, but I dunno if a stylized design of a letter can be copyrighted.

I know Iron Maiden has used that basic design in their band name logo long before either CCA or CoD came along, albeit inverted and with a different font. I'm sure there are many other examples of that basic design out in the wild, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Activision always does this
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1