• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lupin Zero - Episode 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting this to be out so soon -- very exciting. Seems a bit odd to be telling, essentially, otherwise "normal" Lupin stories (IE guns, Yakuza, etc.) -- I'd hoped for more childish antics. Seems like this may wind up being a bit closer to Conan or even the Monkey Punch stuff than the usual TV-anime fare.

Quote:
Lupin III has always had a mysterious past. While we have learned various bits and pieces over the decades about the days before he gained the title of greatest thief in the world, the basics—his place of birth, ethnicity, and even his relationship to the original Arsène Lupin—are vague at best, and contradictory at worst. So it's kind of odd to see his early days so blatantly unveiled in this premiere episode of Lupin Zero.

I think it's a mistake to get too hung up on continuity (or "canon") here. Lupin especially so. This is just an independent spin-off show, with a wacky premise. It's not meant to be a prequel or explainer to any other shows. This iteration of Lupin III is solely it's own thing, just as TV Lupin is separate from manga Lupin. I mean, heck, even with just the TV series there're clear distinctions between different parts (EG The Woman Called Fujiko Mine most obviously, but even the connections between parts 1/2/3 and 4/5/6 are pretty nonexistent). Hell, it's not at all unusual to be a lack of continuity in the same series from episode to episode.

TL;DR Lupin the 3rd is not meant to be a "cinematic universe."
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Yup. Lupin has "died" multiple times in the series. Also the fact both part 2 and 6 have relatives of Sherlock Holmes. I always think of the Lupin series like what inspired it, James bond. A loosely connected series that may have a few nods but is never intended to be a complete timeline.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:17 am Reply with quote
Any idea when Hidive are streaming this, all they've said so far is December.
Fluwm wrote:
I think it's a mistake to get too hung up on continuity (or "canon") here. Lupin especially so. This is just an independent spin-off show, with a wacky premise. It's not meant to be a prequel or explainer to any other shows. This iteration of Lupin III is solely it's own thing, just as TV Lupin is separate from manga Lupin. I mean, heck, even with just the TV series there're clear distinctions between different parts (EG The Woman Called Fujiko Mine most obviously, but even the connections between parts 1/2/3 and 4/5/6 are pretty nonexistent). Hell, it's not at all unusual to be a lack of continuity in the same series from episode to episode.
And then there was the TV special Episode 0 - First Contact that has an entirely different backstory to how they met. I agree, Lupin is multiple universes, and even those have soft reboots.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:49 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Any idea when Hidive are streaming this, all they've said so far is December.
December 16.

ANN got a preview for this because they showed the first episode on Anime NYC.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also the fact both part 2 and 6 have relatives of Sherlock Holmes.

It’s better than that — Part 2 has two different Sherlock Holmes III.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:32 am Reply with quote
Dayraven wrote:
Quote:
Also the fact both part 2 and 6 have relatives of Sherlock Holmes.

It’s better than that — Part 2 has two different Sherlock Holmes III.

The episode with the blimp was one of my favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I wasn't expecting this to be out so soon

I’ll say I had to do a double take at the title of the article when I noticed “episode 1”.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me if someone has pointed it out before...but does the imagine of Lupin on the thumbnail look like anime Todd Howard to anyone else? I had that thought, and now I can't unsee it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1