• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Domo-Kun Premieres This Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Somebody mentioned Domo-kun to me before from somewhere (I never payed attention) NOW I get to see what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
This should be interesting. I've heard of this Domo-kun, but all I've seen are plush toys. I'll be sure to check this out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tobiasender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
"What is Soyltent Green?"

I mean...Domo-Kun....
froinlaven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Please, think of the kittens.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I was starting to think this was cancelled, it was announced back in May '06 with little (if any) information since. An Akihabara@DEEP anime was announced at the same time, I wonder how that's going.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gary leeman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I remember my first encounter with Domo-kun was in an email about 5-6 years ago saying that 'Everytime you masturbate, God kills a kitten.' And there was a picture of a kitten frolicking through the grass, with Domo-kun charging up behind it.

I did some net research and found a hilarious promo where he dances with a bunch of school girls.

ohhhh, Domo-kun...
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I first heard of it as an avatar on GaiaOnline... And I've seen the pictures and stuff too. I'm glad I get to find out what it is.
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
I love Domo-kun! They are great little skits. I'd like to tape them off of the TV because they are that funny. He farts when he gets nervous hahahahaha. Yes, I have that kind of humor. I saw this one clip where this guy was trying to read the news, and a giant Domo busted through the back wall all cool-aid man style. He is a great character. Very Happy
KocaKoala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, awesome! I love the little guy. Hopefully people know that he didn't orginate as the kitten eater. He was originally the mascot for Tokyo TV and had his own little shorts.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Awesome. Somebody mentioned Domo-kun to me before from somewhere (I never payed attention) NOW I get to see what it is.

He's a TV mascot for a Japanese channle network with a fuzzy body, cartoony monster teeth, and black eyes. He also became an internet meme in 4chan and other such sites like YTMND.

This picture shows two Domo-kun clones chasing after a cat.

areaseven also made a photoshop of it for ignorant newly registered n00bs in the thread that teaches us that asking for fansubs is illegal.

He also appeared in a YTMND fad made by Max called FYAD (**** Yourself And Die). There are some spinoffs of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
Nice, thanks for that little piece of info. And the link. And the pic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
That's pretty cool. I've seen some of the shorts online. Should be neat to see them on TV here.

Plus anything that lets people know about the character aside from that stupidly overplayed kitten joke image is a plus to me.
Anaraug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Thinkgeek has been selling a Domo-kun shirt for... a long time... I have it...

Xenos: One day, a large egg fell down a hole right into Usaji's living room. Out hatched Domo-kun! Domo-kun loves television and Guitar Wolf... and I think that's about it.

NHK has produced a series of shorts about him. At one point I remember downloading them from somewhere, but I can't seem to find them now...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
I hope they don't remake it for American audiences like they did with Iron Chef.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:

When I was in Nagoya in 2005, I visited the NHK shop in the Oasis 21 complex - it features Domo-kun quite prominently, as you can see in this photo:

Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2