• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun Manga's Anime Project 'Restarts'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James02

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:58 am Reply with quote
So, what does this mean for the anime? A re-due the first season?
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:06 am Reply with quote
Could it refer to the fact that they skipped an entire arc and some miscellaneous chapters in the first season? The fact that they absolutely butchered the 4 o'clock bookstacks arc by shoving it into a singular episode? Who knows!
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:16 am Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
Not really. They just used 再始動 to describe the new anime production - and in terms in content that word can be used equally for a new series and just a 2nd season.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:00 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Could it refer to the fact that they skipped an entire arc and some miscellaneous chapters in the first season? The fact that they absolutely butchered the 4 o'clock bookstacks arc by shoving it into a singular episode? Who knows!
We've seen it before with Shadows House where they skipped ahead in material that was easy enough to retcon in a second season. I think people are reading too much into what little info we have about this new anime and "restart" is vague enough to mean anything. We also don't know what the format of this new anime and it's just as plausible they might do a recap movie with new content that leads into a s2.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:20 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
James02 wrote:
Not really. They just used 再始動 to describe the new anime production - and in terms in content that word can be used equally for a new series and just a 2nd season.

In Detective Conan's case, the "再始動" or "再起動" term in official marketing was not even for a new series or season – just a remake of a previous episode.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-12-15/detective-conan-anime-to-remake-legendary-episode-to-mark-25th-anniversary/.167494
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:38 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
In Detective Conan's case, the "再始動" or "再起動" term in official marketing was not even for a new series or season – just a remake of a previous episode.
Yeah, but Conan case is very unusual one and it's totally not that. But the thing is still there - just the wording itself is really ambigious to call out what content it will be, and it's easily can be just a 2nd season confirmation and not a complete remake/reboot of the series.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:48 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
James02 wrote:

I assume it's more of the previous show - a completely new adaptation would have 新 somewhere to indicate that it's a new thing. Besides, it seems they haven't created a new website or new social media accounts, and according to Natalie, the previous anime is apparently being re-run right now so that's a connection happening there. I think they're just being vague because they haven't yet decided on (or don't want to make public) the exact format, whether it'll be a TV show or a movie or like, web shorts... It may also be a Kekkai sensen situation where technically the two anime are the same adaptation but they have different staff and different approaches.

In any case, I haven't read the Hanako-kun manga, but even to me the first anime felt really off, and I ended up being very disappointed in it, even though I could see that there was a lot of potential there that was probably better realized in the manga... I hope this new show will do a better job.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:10 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Yeah, but Conan case is very unusual one and it's totally not that. But the thing is still there - just the wording itself is really ambigious to call out what content it will be, and it's easily can be just a 2nd season confirmation and not a complete remake/reboot of the series.

Yeah, Detective Conan is just cautionary example that even a "new anime" is not a guarantee. Another example is Gurren Lagann, which proclaimed a "restart" in 2015 — as a streaming rerun, some collaborations, and a pachinko game.

https://www.gurren-lagann-ps.jp
https://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/189/1189752/
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:37 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:

Yeah, Detective Conan is just cautionary example that even a "new anime" is not a guarantee. Another example is Gurren Lagann, which proclaimed a "restart" in 2015 — as a streaming rerun, some collaborations, and a pachinko game.

In the Dengeki Online news article you link they're not saying there's an anime restart, though. They're just saying that "Gurren Lagann restarts" and then specify in what ways. In Hanako-kun's case they specifically say that the anime project is restarting, there's a new PV teasing developments not fully explored in the first show (Yashiro being in love with Hanako), there's new visuals, and mention that the old series is being re-run on TV so clearly it's not about that.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:13 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:

In the Dengeki Online news article you link they're not saying there's an anime restart, though. They're just saying that "Gurren Lagann restarts" and then specify in what ways. In Hanako-kun's case they specifically say that the anime project is restarting, there's a new PV teasing developments not fully explored in the first show (Yashiro being in love with Hanako), there's new visuals, and mention that the old series is being re-run on TV so clearly it's not about that.

Yeah, which is why the ANN article is worded specifically as "Anime Project 'Restarts.'" However, not all franchises were so fortunate as that in the past. They got new story content and/or new visuals, but not as "new anime."
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:56 am Reply with quote
my guess is they'll do a re-broadcast with new episodes/content smashed inbetween old episodes
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:56 am Reply with quote
Perhaps they are doing like what Re:Zero did. A rerun with an occasional additional scene / reanimation.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:29 am Reply with quote
I'm totally down for more Hanako-kun anime so I hope that's what this is!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
James02 wrote:

Yeah, I'm inclined to think it's a difference in how the word is used. As in they are starting up the anime again with another season, and not going back to the beginning like the word would probably mean in more common English usage.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
No mention that Crunchyroll released a subtitled trailer literally one minute after the JP announcement? That’s gotta indicate it’s licensed already. https://youtu.be/VXnHqcm3O1I
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2