×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Nominated for 95th Oscars


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14848
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:12 am Reply with quote
Oscar voters hate anime like nobody's business.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 1664
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Oscar voters hate anime like nobody's business.

Except when anime gets nominated...
Or when an anime movie actually wins...
Rolling Eyes

Not that I think much of the Oscars, but frankly there wasn't any particularly outstanding anime movie last year, apart from Inu-Oh, and while I enjoyed that a lot, it's not the sort of anime that does well overseas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14848
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
SHD: Yeah, once in a while.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
L'Imperatore



Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 669
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Not that I think much of the Oscars, but frankly there wasn't any particularly outstanding anime movie last year, apart from Inu-Oh, and while I enjoyed that a lot, it's not the sort of anime that does well overseas.

It didn't fare that well at home either, being outside top 10 in its opening weekend.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-05-30/shin-ultraman-drops-to-no.2-jujutsu-kaisen-0-is-back-in-top-10/.186174
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 2209
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote
Don't fret fellow weebs, we don't need no stinkin' Oscar, WE have the Crunchyroll Anime Awards! Wink

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 3986
Location: New York
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote
Pretty much every film deserved to be nominated but Turning Red, but they had to nominate a Disney film.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fedora-san



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 402
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Oscar voters hate anime like nobody's business.


It's more they hate animation in general and admit to only voting for the animated films they heard about or their kids watched. Obviously that would very rarely be anime compared to the Disney, Dreamworks, and other tentpole American animated film studios.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14848
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:43 am Reply with quote
Fedora: I know they hate anime, because they've referred to it as 'Oriental'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 6070
Location: Katy, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:05 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:

It didn't fare that well at home either, being outside top 10 in its opening weekend.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-05-30/shin-ultraman-drops-to-no.2-jujutsu-kaisen-0-is-back-in-top-10/.186174


Wow, that's unfortunate. Shocked Sad

Well something good came out of the Oscars this year though, Asian actors/actresses and filmmakers dominate the nominations with Michelle Yeoh & Ke Huy Quan (both now Golden Globes winners) getting nominations. So not everything came out bad for me, and I say this not only as a anime fan but also a fan of Asian representation in Hollywood.


Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dark Mac



Joined: 17 May 2008
Posts: 228
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Pretty much every film deserved to be nominated but Turning Red, but they had to nominate a Disney film.


Why not? Turning Red is the best Pixar movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Minos_Kurumada



Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 652
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Oscar voters hate anime like nobody's business.


It's more they hate animation in general and admit to only voting for the animated films they heard about or their kids watched. Obviously that would very rarely be anime compared to the Disney, Dreamworks, and other tentpole American animated film studios.


Pretty much, when you read the justifications for voting for an animated movie (members need to write the reason for their vote) what you get its a compendium of:

"My kids like it".
"Didn't watch it".
"I heard it's good".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abraham Omosun



Joined: 05 Mar 2020
Posts: 143
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Pretty much every film deserved to be nominated but Turning Red, but they had to nominate a Disney film.


Why not? Turning Red is the best Pixar movie.


Best Pixar movie=/=Nomination worthy (I really liked the film btw)

Willing to bet that Miyazaki next film is already pre nominated Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1384
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Inu-Oh was snubbed. It's a shame, though I expected nothing less. Anime just doesn't get noticed by the Academy unless it's from a big name director, and the only name Hollywood knows is Miyazaki (not that he doesn't deserve the recognition, but he's not the only talented director out there!)

Still, all the movies nominated this year are deserving. I hope Pinocchio wins as it's a true masterpiece, but I'd be happy with any of these winning. They all have something unique to them.

Beatdigga wrote:
Pretty much every film deserved to be nominated but Turning Red, but they had to nominate a Disney film.


Turning Red is the best thing Pixar's done in a decade, delivering a badly needed shake-up to their formula which was starting to get stale. If the studio wants to have a future as something other than a sequel factory then they need to follow its lead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
L'Imperatore



Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 669
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Anime just doesn't get noticed by the Academy unless it's from a big name director, and the only name Hollywood knows is Miyazaki (not that he doesn't deserve the recognition, but he's not the only talented director out there!)

Mirai (and Hosoda) says hi.

And by the way, the last 2 Ghibli movies nominated weren't Miyazaki's.
Perhaps many equate Ghibli = Miyazaki.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14848
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore: Hosoda has yet to win, and there are a lot of good anime films which were snubbed. Also, as I've said before, the voters don't consider Ghibli to be anime.

Anyway, the Oscar voters only seem to hate rotoscoping almost as much as anime, which is why Linklater's animated movies didn't get in, either.


Last edited by GATSU on Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group