• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds Mononoke Anime with English Dub/Sub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Judging by what I've seen in the ANN encyclopedia, it looks like the dub was made in Asia, using actors who prominently feature in Animax English dubs.
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:29 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Judging by what I've seen in the ANN encyclopedia, it looks like the dub was made in Asia, using actors who prominently feature in Animax English dubs.

Guess this is one of those dubs produced by Japan Foundation, who also dubbed the show in Argentine Spanish.
They often produce dubs in odd places, like in Go Astro Boy Go!, whose dub was produced in Florida instead of the usual places in which anime titles are dubbed in English (like California, Texas, or even less Vancouver or NY).

Last edited by Purple Ninja on Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean the film will stream on Netflix?
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Shocked wow, this sure was unexpected. Really glad it happened anyway. Time to give this gem of a series a dubbed rewatch Laughing
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Too bad they didn't pick up Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales as well, or just graft the "Bake Neko" arc of that anthology onto the beginning of Mononoke. (Yes, I know they have different aspect ratios.) In Japan all fifteen episodes of the Kusuriuri stories were released as a single set.

At one time, Mononoke had sold more discs in Japan (ca. 12,000) than any other show carried on FujiTV's noitaminA block including ones like Nodame Cantabile.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:

It's there now.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Mononoke is one of those rare Anime where I don't care for a dub, I would like to say it is nice for those who do, but apparently it is an Animax dub.
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
That's fine, providing it doesn't get locked on there like Little Witch Academia did.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

It could happen, but this isn't a guarantee. The movie definitely has a different production committee than the TV show. Toei doesn't appear to be involved. Based on Cinedigm's DVD set, it seems like Fuji TV handled the international rights for the show.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunate that the dub isn't that good, but this will give me the excuse to finally watch the series
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:03 am Reply with quote
The article should be more specific about where Netflix has the license. Just checked and it's not on Netflix Philippines. Which is kind of funny since it has a Hong Kong-based English dub. Those usually don't make it out of Asia.

I'm assuming this is only available in the Americas.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:34 am Reply with quote
Well I guess this is my sign to get into the older anime series I've been meaning to watch. First Monster now Mononoke... Smile
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:42 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
The article should be more specific about where Netflix has the license. Just checked and it's not on Netflix Philippines. Which is kind of funny since it has a Hong Kong-based English dub. Those usually don't make it out of Asia.

I'm assuming this is only available in the Americas.

It's available in 24 countries, though Japan is the only Asian one. The recent release seemed mostly aimed at the Americas and Europe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1